You are here

Converter into a converter

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Converter into a converter

Postby forumuser939325 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 pm

Hello
I’m a very satisfied Clarett 8 pre X owner and i wish to connect my vintage Freevox mixing desk into the Clarett via an UA2192 AD ( & DA) converter via s/pdif connector
The Univrrsal Audio unit got this  very »analog » feedback from the users

If i do so : L&R Mixing fesk master —->UA 2192 via analog XLR input into——>Clarett via s/pdif, then Clarett to——>DAW via Thunderbolt , will i hear the UA 2192 personnality in the final destination?

( does the mixing desk signal converted by UA2192 be outputed « as it » to the Thunderbold link or will it be Clarettified before going out from it?)

(Or: when cascading 2 converters through s/pdif , will the final converter in the chaun take the lead on the antepenultiem one?)

Thank you very much for your reply

Happy New Year to you all

Jerome
forumuser939325

Re: Converter into a converter

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm

If you're sending S/PDIF from the UA into the clarett, there will be no additional A/D conversion, S/PDIF is already a digital format. The conversion will happen in the UA and the resulting sample stream will be sent as it is to the PC via the Clarett.

The Clarett in that case will only do the job of translating from an audio-oriented data streaming format (S/PDIF) into a computer-oriented data streaming format (Thunderbolt) but the data itself (i.e. the quantized signal) will be unchanged.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Converter into a converter

Postby forumuser939325 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:04 pm

Thank you very much for your fast and helpful reply, it’s very kind of you; now, i’m closer of the crucial decision i have in front of me...

Best regards,
Jerome
forumuser939325