You are here

Rode Procaster and Zoom H5, will there be any gain issues ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Rode Procaster and Zoom H5, will there be any gain issues ?

Postby Thomlfvr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:14 pm

Hey everyone !
I’m going to start recording my first YT videos and after seeing LOTS of reviews, I think the mic in my price range is the Rode Procaster for its price, its sound (I love it !) and his ability to not capture background noises.

I would also buy with it, to record, a Zoom H5. But why ? First, it has built-in mics that I’ll use to record ambient sounds for my videos, it has an SD port, an SD card is more conviennent for me as I work on IPad Pro 2018 (even if I could use a PC, I prefer the profitability and the OS of my IPad, so an AI is not very convenient for me).

But I heard two things that dont go really well together... first the Zooms, in high gain, starts creating lots of noise, and the Procaster require high gain ni order to sound good.

Do you have both of those articles ? Do they sounds great together ? Is there really much background noise ?

Thank you for your time =D
Thomlfvr

Re: Rode Procaster and Zoom H5, will there be any gain issues ?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:50 pm

I don't have a Procaster but I do have an H5 (well, work does!) and I really don't think this is likely to be much of a problem. Yes, the Zoom doesn't have the quietest of of pre-amps at high gain, but if you're close mic'ing a voice (or instrument) this is unlikely to be a significant issue. If you were planning on doing some distance mic'ing of a quiet source using some noisy mics (cheap SDCs maybe), then you might start encountering issues.

Others (with higher standards) may disagree, but that's my tuppenceworth.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 pm

I haven't tried that combination either, but I think you're right to be wary. The Procaster is a low output (1.6mV/Pa) dynamic mic, so will require a fair amount of gain, and the H-series Zooms don't have the quietest of preamps.

Two possible ways around it... One is to use a mic with a higher output, which basically means a capacitor mic of some sort. The Rode Broadcaster mic (20mV/Pa), for example (which is also an end-fire mic, like the Procaster). That would be 22dB louder than the Procaster, so need 22dB less gain for the same output level.

Alternatively, you could stick with your Procaster, but use an inline gain-booster like the Cloudbuster or Triton Fethead to boost the signal level from the mic and thus require less gain from the Zoom's preamp. Again, these kinds of devices (and there are many from which to choose) add about 20-25dB of gain.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Ah, sorry about that, confusing the procaster with the broadcaster. Thanks for correcting me Hugh! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Thomlfvr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Hey !
Thanks for your response =D

I don’t think I’m going to be the rode Broadcaster far too expensive for me, as the Procaster was already quite expensive for me, but I love audio and it’s very important for me !

Actually, you really helped as I thought there was only the CLoudFilter (which you named CLoudBuster but it’s the same haha) around 170€ (perhaps 180$ ?) which has the ability to boost up the decibels without degrading the sound ^^

The other one you presented is more of my price range so I think I’m going to start by buying the Procaster and the Zoom H5, start recording even if it’s not “perfect” and one or two month after I’ll by the Triton Fethead in order to have a better sound.

Thanks again =D
But if you, the reader, have tried this combination I’d love to hear about it =D

Have a nice day/afternoon ^^
Thomlfvr