You are here

Using B&Ws for production

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Using B&Ws for production

Postby b3nss » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I’ve started producing (house music) again after a long lay off. My main question relates to monitors during the production process. I had a spare pair of B&W 602 S2s which I have used in my setup. They have always had a lovely rounded sound but I’m curious if I should invest in some dedicated studio monitors for the production process.

I can’t honestly say the B&Ws have been detrimental to my production process (as I have a couple of tracks already picked up by labels) but I’m interested to know everyone’s thoughts on what the benefits would be by investing in for example some budget active Monitors (KRK or Yams for instance)

Cheers all.
b3nss

Re: Using B&Ws for production

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 pm

I've not used the 602's but my experience of using sensible hifi speakers for production has been good. Many traditional British speaker manufacturers (I'm thinking of the likes of B&W, KEF, Spendor, ATC, PMC and Harbeth) aim for accuracy rather than the impressive sound that others go for.

I'm currently setting up a new room for transfers which initially had a pair of NS10s installed. If you've read my comments on here you will know that I'm not a fan of NS10s but I thought they'd at least give me some idea of what was going into the computer. Unfortunately they just sounded tubby with indistinct stereo imaging. I replaced them with a pair of scruffy KEF Celeste III's and the imaging immediately came right into focus with a far better illusion of depth and the tubbiness was gone. The KEF's weren't particularly expensive when new but they are far more usable in this situation.

I would guess that if you want to improve on the B&W's you are going to need to spend a fair bit of money on something like Neumann KH120's rather than going for budget monitors.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby b3nss » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks James. As I thought, I love the sound of the B&Ws and understand how to work them so maybe thats a good enough reason to hang on to them for a little longer. I will be investing in some isolation pads for them anyway as I have read good things about them...
b3nss

Postby MarkOne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:11 pm

I am also a big B&W fan - (I've got 600 series II stuff in my surround sound system, and I often think they are more revealing than the Adams in the studio room... ) Abbey Road also seem to be fans. Studio 1 has 800Ds as it's studio mains. Studio 2 has 801 Nautilus, Studio 3 has 800Ds alongside its Quested soffit mounted monsters. So I guess they are doing something right :)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:00 pm

MarkOne wrote:Abbey Road also seem to be fans....

To a degree... B&W is a 'marketing partner' -- it's a business arrangement that probably benefits B&W far more than AR. ;)

I'm not dissing B&W speakers -- they produce some great speakers -- but the B&Ws haven't always been used on the occasions I've been observing work there... :silent:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound