You are here

SSL 2 and 2+

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SSL 2 and 2+

Postby Seamonkey2 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:58 am

Kwackman wrote:The big one even has a pair of 5 pin DIN MIDI ports, almost retro these days!

You think DIN MIDI is “retro”?
Wow.
Seamonkey2

Postby ef37a » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:49 am

Seamonkey2 wrote:
Kwackman wrote:The big one even has a pair of 5 pin DIN MIDI ports, almost retro these days!

You think DIN MIDI is “retro”?
Wow.

Well no, 'I' don't but DINs are rather dated and MUCH though I want to see MIDI I/O on every interface (and digital mixers come to that) they are rather bulky on today's compact devices and the plugs are fragile. 99% of punters can't solder an XLR for toffee, repairing a DIN plug would totally faze them (and me these days!)

There is a move to 3.5mm jack and that would be very convenient if everyone went the same way but that is not likely so dangly breakout cables will be needed. However, the imminent (sort of) coming of MIDI 2 gives a great opportunity IMHO to go for a standard connector and I suggest the USB C reversible connector (NOT that silly flat thing with the crimp! WTF thought we needed that?) .

Yes, it could be argued that USB C already has a 'home' and using it for another purpose was wrong but, USB A is used in at least three roles, conventional power and data transfer, one way data only 'dump' and simply a port for the connection of a memory stick.

'A' ports are conventionally used in pairs and the C port could thus be even more compact in this guise (never seen a pair so far?)

I have this horrible feeling you see that unless a suitable connection standard is fixed up soon MIDI 2 will founder or at least be slowed in its implementation? There will of course need to be suitable adapter cables and breakout boxes and so the sooner there is a standard the quicker and cheaper these things can be brought to the market.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:13 am

The genie is out of the bottle. I've seen not only 3.5mm MIDI, but also 6.5mm. I see a whole world of horrible converter cables in our future. :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:13 am

My greater concern for MIDI 2 is that it's too flexible. Although it is supposed to degrade gracefully to MIDI 1. I've a strong feeling that larger manufacturers will not bother. Also it relies on equipment negotiating features, and again I think the same people would just stick to their own set and ignore everything else. So a cross compatibility of zero.

The latter is the same problem that OSC suffers. The transport layer is well specified, but the protocol on top is very woolly.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:14 am

blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:16 am

blinddrew wrote:https://xkcd.com/927/
Exactly!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:32 am

Hi Will, just opened "OSC" in Wiki...Then closed it again PDQ!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:19 am

I've fooled around with OSC, but I never found a practical *need* for it. As soon as networking terminology enters the picture I think we hit the 'glazing over' threshold. MIDI has made the leap over network, both wired and wireless, and is both simple and ubiquitous.

I'm cautiously optimistic about MIDI 2, but I share the concerns above.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous