You are here

free plugins

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

free plugins

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I don't know whether this is out of order, as regards Bandlab Cakewalk, but I downloaded it some time ago and am slowly learning to use it, trying to wean myself of Cubase but still surgically attached to it.

Anyway, with the Cakewalk plugins being VSTs many of them work in Cubase, or any other VST host I would imagine and some of those Cakewalk plugins are really good quality, I'd say it was worth downloading and installing Cakewalk if only for the plugins.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: free plugins

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Given that Cakewalk is free I would seriously doubt the will and resources to get it beyond the next few OS updates and technology shifts. For that reason i wouldn't get too wedded to a free DAW.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 pm

The Elf wrote:Given that Cakewalk is free I would seriously doubt the will and resources to get it beyond the next few OS updates and technology shifts. For that reason i wouldn't get too wedded to a free DAW.

It is such a shame Cakewalk went the way it did, it really is a nice interface, I just don't get on with the current "any colour as long as it's black fad" but for now, whatever happens, I am keeping some of the plugins.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Well, so far so good.

They’re having more significant updates per month than ever before, adding more features all the time and fixing years old bugs and idiosyncrasies.. Last month an update was creating a problem with WDM drivers and the hotfix was out with 48hrs of the first report.

It’s already a far better product than the last commercial version, which was already a flagship product in terms of functionality and sound engine capabilities.

Getting off Gibson is the best that’s happened to the platform and by being free Cakewalk is gathering users at a astonishing rate.

I would be rather be worried for others, they risk ending up like ProTools. Logic is the only immune one as CW doesn’t run on Mac..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page