You are here

One compressor, What is it doing!>!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: One compressor, What is it doing!>!

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:One knob at 5 (12 0-clock)...

That sounds to me like too fast an attack time on the compressor, but it could also be an internal gain structure thing. Do you have any idea how much gain reduction it's actually applying at that setting?

No can't tell. It's one-knob, and no GR meter.

I really have no idea what this on-knob is doing, or if there is some standard way they work?

The mixer is Yamaha MG16XU: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudi ... index.html

Don't get me wrong, I love the mixer for recording. I love all of the routing stuff, and it sounds great and clean.

But the one-knob hates my jazz organ!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 pm

It doesn't need compressing, so don't use the knob.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:20 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:I really have no idea what this on-knob is doing, or if there is some standard way they work?

Yes, to a point: turning the knob you decrease threshold and increase ratio with, attack and release time and makeup gain maybe changing as well according to a predefined curve. I've used these mixer myself live, including that knob :)

From the spec, for the MG 16:

Threshold: +22 dBu to -8 dBu,
Ratio: 1:1 to 4:1,
Output level: 0 dB to 7 dB
Attack time: approx. 25 msec,
Release time: approx. 300 msec

Turning the knob will change some, or all, these parameters between the minimum range towards the maximum. When it's all on the left, the ratio will surely be 1:1, when it's all on the right it's likely 4:1. Likely it will also reduce the threshold and increase the makeup gain (according to some curve) How the attack and release are changing (if they change at all), it's hard to say without testing.

But your ears are test enough - if you don't like it, don't use it :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am

CS70 wrote:
But your ears are test enough - if you don't like it, don't use it :)

Right.

Ok, then I won't use it on anything 'cause I can't trust it to not distort.

I fear that this 'feature' may have cost me a gig. Just saying. I wish it did not exist.

Keep it at zero. No need for its existence. Not helping. Didn't ask for it.

Who can modify my board to make that knob just go away then ?!?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:06 am

DC-Choppah wrote:I fear that this 'feature' may have cost me a gig. Just saying. I wish it did not exist.

Keep it at zero. No need for its existence. Not helping. Didn't ask for it.

Who can modify my board to make that knob just go away then ?!?

Haha yeah there's something with knobs that kinda forces you to turn them even if you have no clue what they do. Even more with compressors. So a one-knob compressor's gotta be irresistible! :D

Gaffer tape! Or superglue.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:05 pm

found this:

"One last tip—more than a few organs out there were designed to be played through two amps and thus have stereo output jacks that won’t mix down to a mono plug. So if you ever come across an organ in which either the bass section or the rest of the organ’s notes don’t seem to be working, you might just need a stereo-to-mono adapter."

otherwise according to my quick look research you're talking about/dealing with a full blown analog device that clips into distortion, sweet. or not so good I mean.

Previous