You are here

Shure SM7b, Electrovoice RE20 or Neumann TLM103?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Shure SM7b, Electrovoice RE20 or Neumann TLM103?

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Apologies, just realised you have gone for the SM7 so the words below are irrelevant, I don't doubt you'll be very happy with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd definitely suggest taking a close look at the Aston Stealth. It's a dynamic with a built-in set of alternate voicings, and a preamp that detects phantom power. Sound is very good for the price. It looks very cool, it even lights up. On shoot outs for new projects quite a few people prefer it to the other mics I like to use for vocals (MD441, Brauner Phantom and Bock 195. All good mics in their own right)

I would replace it instantly if it failed. But of course this is all IMHO and YMMV
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby jellyjim » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:32 pm

My first efforts with my new mic (used just on vocal) though there's quite a lot of processing so whether anyone would know it's an SM7b I'm not sure

https://soundcloud.com/thisisobsolete/everybodys-talkin

Very happy with the Shure, thanks all :thumbup:
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Darren Lynch » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:24 pm

The OP asked about the MD441 - in 2020 I'd take a new SM7b over a used MD441 for male vocals. I do own a 441. It's a lovely mic. So many second hand examples have a tell-tale drum stick-sized dent in them...
Sam Spoons - Of course you have it right about the SM7 and room reflections. The recessed capsule means that just in front of the grille has the singer at a much closer working distance than the 10-12 inches recommended for a condenser. There is no magical 'rejection'.
Darren Lynch
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Sorry Darren, not attempting to teach Granny here just clarifying for the benefit of a potential newb finding the thread in the future. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Darren Lynch » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:58 pm

All is cool. No need to qualify your worthy remarks. :D
Darren Lynch
Frequent Poster

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Darren Lynch wrote:All is cool. No need to qualify your worthy remarks. :D

Indeed not!

Thanks all.

Hugh, I might have lost that Brownie point ...

... must-stop-surfing-ebay-late-at-night-must-stop-surfing-ebay-late-at-night-must-stop-surfing-ebay-late-at-night- ...
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Previous