You are here

LUNA: New DAW from Universal Audio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: LUNA: New DAW from Universal Audio

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:12 am

Following the UAD forum I've just seen this link to a useful summary of Luna: https://musictechtips.com/2020/01/16/universal-audio-announces-daw-luna/

I have to to say the proposed hardware integration (setting up cues etc) seems like a dream come true and, for me, would be worth the pain of learning a new DAW.

Additionally if their sampled instruments are anything like their sampled gear plug-ins, we're in for an interesting ride.

And it's free - provided you buy into the Apollo world. This could be a game changer for hardware sales.......

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 am

We filmed a pretty detailed overview of Luna with UA's Tom Waterman this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamldAJ2tdM

It seems to handle cue mixing internally and pretty elegantly from what I can tell. There is currently no support for hardware control surfaces, though.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:55 am

Brilliant - very informative!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 am

I do see it for tracking: currently I have to switch from Cubase to Console to set the channels, and sometimes with a return from cubase to console to set the EQ’s, and other processing in order to later move the plugin to the channel I had solo’d in cubase so I can track printing that EQ and processing. That whole process will be a no brainer with this DAW.

What I’d like to see is comping and vocals editing in LUNA
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm

ore_terra wrote:in order to later move the plugin to the channel I had solo’d in cubase so I can track printing that EQ and processing.

This confuses me...you can print or bypass effects directly from console. When I don't want to commit during tracking, I run plugins as inserts in my DAW channel and print onto stems later.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:54 pm

ore_terra wrote:What I’d like to see is comping and vocals editing in LUNA

There is a playlist-style take management system called Versions in Luna, which presumably is intended for comping!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 pm

OK, now I'm enthused. That was a genuinely helpful piece.

Sam Inglis wrote:There is currently no support for hardware control surfaces, though.

:(

Still it's only v1 after all.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm

I'm seeing suggestions that Luna requires iLok. If that's correct (and it might just be the internet rumour mill, of course) why? If you can't use it without an Apollo hanging off your computer what need of any other copy protection?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:57 pm

I’ve seen that too. Weird as UAD have always and will continue to use their interfaces as copy protection. It implies you can run the software without and interface connected even though they say you can’t do that.

I guess time will tell.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:We filmed a pretty detailed overview of Luna with UA's Tom Waterman this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamldAJ2tdM

So a $5 fine for the UA guy for mentioning the word DAW and possibly a $5 credit for mentioning the term "Analogue Sounding Recording Environment"!
ASRE might not take off as a term unless it offers a lot of analogue bottom end. ;)
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:23 am

Bob Bickerton wrote: It implies you can run the software without and interface connected even though they say you can’t do that.

Yeah, but copy protecting free software :?: :eh: :roll:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 am

I understood that the iLok is needed for the extensions, which run natively. Unless and until there's a Windows version, I won't be able to find out through.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:55 am

That would make sense, but only if they don't need Luna to run but can be used in any DAW.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby fredmant » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanks Sam for the video. I've watched it twice. I have Apollo 8 and think the world of it. However, there is always room for improvement. I'm just not certain Luna is that improvement. Does Luna signify that there will be no more development for Console which is at version 2 currently?

UA's advantage (and one shared with other companies using Sharc processors in their audio interfaces) has been low latency. The claim, or at least implication, is that Luna presents an environment where your Daw (say ProTools) could be configured at 512 samples for editing and mixing and never need to be switched to 32 samples for tracking. However, that assumes that outside of analog sources, you'll be satisfied with the two or three VI's currently in UA's line up. In the real world, a UA Console/DAW or UA Luna/DAW codependency will need to be maintained for a long time to come if not indefinitely. Add to that the major investment many have made in complete VI solutions like Arturia Collection, Native Instruments Komplete, etc, hybrid tracking is a requirement that needs to be improved, not glossed over with UA-Centric solution.

Call me jaded, but Luna, far from being the talk of the town at NAMM 2020, is just another portal by which UA hopes to expand softening plug-in sales as that market becomes saturated. I would have been much happier to see a Console 3 release with a few improvements that benefit their customer base more than an entirely new product whose utility remains to be seen. I will try Luna of course and hope to see more from SOS and UA in the future on this topic.
fredmant
New here

Fred Mant
Do you think the fish know they're Swedish?

Postby currentsound » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:18 pm

I shot some footage of Luna, asked some questions as well as used it myself in the Universal Audio booth at Namm. Here is the video and summary:
https://currentsound.com/general/universal-audio-luna-daw-first-impressions-review/
currentsound
Poster

PreviousNext