You are here

LUNA: New DAW from Universal Audio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: LUNA: New DAW from Universal Audio

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:43 am

Spent a couple of hours with LUNA today and can see the potential alright, but was reminded that changing DAWs is like changing religion - not the easiest of processes.

Sure hope the Lexicon 224 hasn’t been removed - it’s one of my favourite reverbs - hopefully a web glitch.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Just heard back from UA, the missing Lexicon 224 is a site glitch and so should be restored shortly...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby zed » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 am

desmond wrote:Wait, so it's free to UAD interface owners... apart from all the features that aren't free?

Hey - what happened to the Lexicon 224? It seems to be gone from UA's site now, only the 480 is there...

The page just 404's:-
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/reverbs/lexicon-224.html
Yeah - I was excited for a minute - but I can't see moving workflow to a DAW/not-a-daw where the main driver is 'buy our plug-ins' rather than something focused on my results.

Yes - the Lexicon reverbs were my main temptation of recent weeks there - looks like they put it back?

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/reve ... n-224.html
zed
New here

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Yes, after I had let them know, the 224 came back in the shop after a few hours, and the rest of the 224 pages came back an hour or so later... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:11 am

Is the 224 worth the money, then? (Currently £130).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:58 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Is the 224 worth the money, then? (Currently £130).

Only you can answer that! :lol:

It's a very particular type of sound, that some folks will love, and others perhaps less so. It's not super natural, but it is thick and lush and dreamy. The Bladerunner sound, for example, is CS80 into the 224. I really like the sound, and I demoed it a few years ago and thought it was great.

It's on my "I'd like it" list but with so many other reverb options, I'm not sure I can justify it. Plus, it's a UAD plugin, which I've promised myself I won't invest in any more...

Of course, for the same money, you could have the Lex 480, or the AMS RMX16, which have their own flavours too.

If you do have any UAD plugins on your want list, now is a good time to pick something up, as everything is 50% off which is about as good a deal as they ever do...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:44 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Is the 224 worth the money, then? (Currently £130).

CC

What Desmond said.

I particularly like it for ambient - lush or should that be mush - stuff. I did buy the 480, but truth to tell I tend to go either to the 224 or the TC 8210 (hardware controlled), which has some nice clean reverbs on it.

Worth it? Well absolutely - if you'd use it. What was the cost of Spacedesigner when it first came out 500 quid and that was on top of Logic......

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 pm

If you don't fancy getting locked in to the UAD DSP hardware route, other plug-in equivalents are also available, such as the Softube/Native Instruments RC24:

Admittedly the RRP of that is £129, but if you buy it in a bundle with the RC48 (480L) the two are a far more reasonable £169.

SOS review of the two is here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ni ... -rc24-rc48

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:42 pm

I'd be interested to hear other's opinions of that.

Like I say, I really liked the UA 224, but the NI RC24 didn't do much for me - it was a while ago I played with it, but iirc I found it fairly uninspiring and underwhelming, so how accurate it is I don't know...

Actually thinking about it, NI has other plugins of other vintage hardware, compressors etc, and I can't say I was particularly struck with any of them, over the alternatives.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:14 pm

I'd be interested in other people's opinions of the NI vintage hardware plug-ins as well, although Softube (who developed most of the NI vintage offerings) do have an excellent reputation for the audio quality of their own plug-in range.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:Worth it? Well absolutely - if you'd use it.

That, of course, is the question and one only I can resolve. Fortunately I can demo it. Like most people, I guess, I've accumulated quite a few reverbs. The one I use most at present is 2c Breeze.

Cheers all.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I'd be interested in other people's opinions of the NI vintage hardware plug-ins as well, although Softube (who developed most of the NI vintage offerings) do have an excellent reputation for the audio quality of their own plug-in range.

I have some Softube stuff, and it varies for me between ok and excellent. By far my favourite of theirs is "Tape", which is my preferred tapey mojo thing.

Regarding the 224:-

I had another look this morning. I didn't activate the UAD 224 demo yet (I'm saving that for some other time) so haven't compared to the UAD 224 plugin directly, but I retried the RC24, and compared it to some 224 impulses I had around.

It actually faired better than I was expecting. Of course, with impulse responses, you don't get that wide tail modulation you get with the hardware, and which is a big part of the Lexicon, and the 224 sound, so you have to bear that in mind - the RC24 did indeed have the wide modulation stuff that the impulses didn't, but I felt it was a little less smooth than the hardware impulses. The 224 is quite a rough sounding reverb anyway, but I felt the impulses just had more smoothness and depth than the RC24 - with the RC24 being OK but just a little "flat" and one-dimensional in comparison.

Likely the UAD 224 has both characteristics - the wide modulation stuff the impulses don't, *and* the depth and smoothness of the hardware, and that's what my memory tells me I thought before - I just haven't gone back and verified (or not) that with the UAD version just yet...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 pm

ReLab also make some very nice reverbs, including some straight-up Lexicon and TC emulations. I really like their Sonsig Rev-A -- it has a slight Lexicon flavour if you want, but I find it much quicker to set up than a 224 emulation.
Sam Inglis

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:09 pm

I've seen the Sonsig, looks nice, but haven't tried it.

BTW I really enjoyed your Luna preview video Sam, nicely done, and made me chuckle! :thumbup: :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Oh no, not another "tied in" DAW, I’ll stick with Reaper.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Previous