You are here

Boss RC 505 Pops beginning of Loop!!! Advice needed

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Boss RC 505 Pops beginning of Loop!!! Advice needed

Postby Rc505develop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Beautiful sound human,

Whatever I record to loop even a continuous sound, pad when I press play to loop, it begins with a pop.
Technically I couldn't figure out how this thing smoothly and seamlessly loops without popping in the beginning.
With microphone, or keyboard all is same. Either this machine is broken or there is a setting out there that I must learn.

Cos everyone is talking legend about it but I can't loop a smooth sound. Crazy :)
Looking for your advises.

And one another question, is there a bit rate or setting to arrange its Output quality, it really doesn't sound I can play super quality neat sound but looks like cheap stuff. Does it record as Wav format? Since it records for 3 hrs. Let's say you want to record the set as well but it s just a zart quality lower then 320k :)

Lots of good energies your way and thanks for the support.
Stay beautiful
Rc505develop

Re: Boss RC 505 Pops beginning of Loop!!! Advice needed

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:39 pm

The RC 505 (like the RC3, 30, and 300, all of which I have) records 'CD quality' 16 bit/44.1kHz so you should be able to record with very good results as long as you get the gain structure right (it's not as forgiving of poor levels as 24/44.1). It is not a sampler though so, while I haven't tried it specifically, a short loop of a drone may well not loop cleanly (no cross fade or whatever to smooth it out). If I have time I'll be in the studio tomorrow afternoon so will try to remember to give it a try.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:39 am

I think you are maybe expecting too much of the RC-505. It does not create glitch-free loop points.

There are settings to tell the RC-505 to fade in/out loops when they are switched in/out, but to get completely glitch-free looping on repeats you simply have to be careful that you avoid playing across the loop point.

I will often create pads in the RC-505 (I only use mine with keyboards) by deliberately playing across the loop-point, and these are usually good enough to get by in a live situation, especially when the pad is a consistent sound between start and end, but on close listening with nothing else to disguise it you will still clearly hear the loop point.

And yes, the RC-505 is an amazingly creative tool - it has opened up an entirely new type of performance for me!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rc505develop » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The RC 505 (like the RC3, 30, and 300, all of which I have) records 'CD quality' 16 bit/44.1kHz so you should be able to record with very good results as long as you get the gain structure right (it's not as forgiving of poor levels as 24/44.1). It is not a sampler though so, while I haven't tried it specifically, a short loop of a drone may well not loop cleanly (no cross fade or whatever to smooth it out). If I have time I'll be in the studio tomorrow afternoon so will try to remember to give it a try.

Hi Sam and Elf,

thank you for the replies.

So it is not a good super amazing looper like everyone is telling if it just cant do the one thing it is supposed to do. Loop it clean :)
yes it s popping or glitching at every loop. But I guess I will have to find ways to avoid sound at loop point. Or Sam if you find a trick for smooth looping I will appreciate a lot.

Dear Elf, does the obvious loop point dont make it annoying at proper performances?

Have a beautiful day all.
Rc505develop

Postby The Coastal Path » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Just to trouble shoot and ensure it isn't a defect with your 505 - if you put the looper into record and capture some silence do you end up with a glitch or pop at the loop point?

If you do there's a fault with the 505 - if not, then it's a question of learning how to create a clean loop through practice.
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Rc505develop wrote:So it is not a good super amazing looper like everyone is telling if it just cant do the one thing it is supposed to do.
No, it *is* the amazing looper you've likely been told, but it doesn't exist to create smooth, glitch-free loops - it simply loops what you give it, on the fly, and you have to be prepared to make sure you don't play over the loop point if the lumpy loop bothers you.

Rc505develop wrote:Dear Elf, does the obvious loop point dont make it annoying at proper performances?
It can be a bit annoying, yes. If I get something that's *really* bad I'll create the loop again as part of the performance, but that's very rare. This is live, after all - I'm not back in the studio making careful cross-fade bow-tie loops, but on stage creating a live performance with all the warts on display! A bit of delay and reverb helps hide a multitude of sins! ;) :lol:

No loopers will seamlessly hide their loop points - and I've tried quite a few of them. I think that the RC-505 does a pretty good job of avoiding anything really nasty, such as clicks or loud pops. Maybe it's using a tiny cross-fade, but I can't say I've studied it to know one way or the other.

Watch some of the better RC-505 performers on YouTube and see how deft they are at hitting the loop buttons during a tiny pause in their performance. That's the way to truly eliminate the glitches - and I wish I were that good at it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 pm

I've just had a little play with my RC-30 (I also have an RC-300). It does indeed make a pop at the loop point when looping a drone sound. The manual does not detail a way to crossfade at the loop point so I suspect you'll have to think creatively around the issue, maybe my using it as a rhythmic device? Another option might be to add an EH Freeze pedal* and use that to create the drone and the RC for everything else?

* Not absolutely sure that will be completely glitch free but IIRC it's pretty good, allowing you to loop a guitar to create a drone or sustained chord (I'm a guitar player BTW with very limited keyboard skills).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........