You are here

Mixer into Iphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mixer into Iphone

Postby funkydingo41 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi All,

We are starting to record video with iphone 11 pro but want to put sound into the phone rather than external microphone.

We use a QSC Touchmix 30 pro so many options available, we have tried Jack to jack via lightning connector but no sound input. however notice only 2 rings on each jack.

open to any options.
funkydingo41
New here

Re: Mixer into Iphone

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Don't bother, record the audio to a USB pen drive from the Touchmix and import it to your editing software later. Starting (and finishing) each scene with a handclap* visible to the camera makes syncing audio to video pretty easy

* If you want to come over all 'Cecil B DeMille' you could use one of these :-

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:37 pm

+1 to what Sam says.

This is recorded with a camera, a touchmix and a few mics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KYYRAMAqlg
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby funkydingo41 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:23 am

CS70 is this done using Sam Spoons method?
funkydingo41
New here

Postby funkydingo41 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm

been to local sound shope and they suggested this bit of kit which I going to try.

https://store.bandlab.com/products/link ... -interface
funkydingo41
New here

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:17 pm

funkydingo41 wrote:CS70 is this done using Sam Spoons method?

As recording medium I plugged a Samsung T5 SSD to the TouchMix (it is one of the officially supported drives).

As capturing setup, I used a 906 mic on the guitar, the bass was directly from a EHX black finger into the mixer and a single 87 in cardioid mode in front of the drums (you can see it in the video I think) . For vocals I just used one my regular dynamics, a 58. So nothing fancy really, perhaps only the 87 for drums as it handles off axis sound very well.

The mains of the TouchMix went into a stereo channel for the PA mixer - so the drum mic and the vocal mic definitely got part of that. Maybe not Grammy material but the jump in quality from a single mix setup is remarkable.

Mixing was minimal, just a little HPF on the tracks and minor balancing since I’d set up the gain with plenty headroom but without fine tuning.

No clap bar tough!!
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:19 pm

funkydingo41 wrote:been to local sound shope and they suggested this bit of kit which I going to try.

https://store.bandlab.com/products/link ... -interface

Since you already have the TouchMix, you definitely don’t need a single input interface..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm

I must ask, why do you want to record the sound on the iPhone? Unless you are trying to do the whole thing without a computer of any kind you already have a far superior recording device for audio in the Touchmix.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:25 pm

What Sam says.. if you're using a single microphone it's generally not worth the hassle. You can just as well put your phone in a sock and go with it :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:49 pm

You say
We use a QSC Touchmix 30 pro so many options available, we have tried Jack to jack via lightning connector but no sound input. however notice only 2 rings on each jack.
Yeah, that is not going to work, this vid explains why and how to get around the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsHJicvs6fk with a mini mic. It's more complicated using an output from the Touchmix though. However you go about getting the Touchmix audio into the iPhone you'll probably end up using something like the Camera Connection Kit I don't know whether that will work with the Touchmix USB though.

Back to the beginning then, the best way (for most purposes) would be to record the output from the Touchmix to a USB drive and edit the video on a computer of some kind.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby funkydingo41 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks all,

The reason looking at doing it all direct is because i no pro at joining sound perfectly to video via software. The USB DAW connector on touchmix would be great but apple say the 11 pro will nit support it(they could not even answer if lightning connector supports sound input) shocking!

I have the bandlabs kit for test and have done a basic test from home and that was successful From a pc sound output.

1 thing I have learned, is that they are not genius’s at apple the lacked basic product knowledge.
funkydingo41
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:00 am

Ok, you do have a computer so tell us a little more about your exact workflow? Being 'not Pro' about video editing is fine (I'm not either, nor about audio editing though I do a lot more of that) but importing and syncing the audio to video is pretty easy using any number of video editing apps, so how do you edit the video just now and what do you then use the finished videos for?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am

funkydingo41 wrote:The reason looking at doing it all direct is because i no pro at joining sound perfectly to video via software.

Look, that is really the simplest thing in the world.

If you want, you mix your microphones using a DAW - any DAW will do - and bounce at 48K - or simply record the stereo output of the QSC.

Then all you need is a video editor (you can even use your phone free iMovie if you really want, but there's plenty of options), where you load up the video (with it crappy camera/phone sound) and right under you load your proper sound.

Even without a specific "clap" system, any video recording in a rehearsal will have a huge amount of noises and peaks that will make alignment a breeze: you just move the sound track in position, listen to it together with the crappy audio until they overlap well, then you mute the crappy audio and bounce the video.
CS70
Jedi Poster