You are here

Can someone PLEASE help me with chaining two units?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can someone PLEASE help me with chaining two units?

Postby gjdagis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:41 pm

I have a Roland VT-4 which I want to use as the computer interface since I have ordered a DBX pre-amp that doesn't have a USB output. The Roland VT-4 ALSO has a pre-amp. Do I connect the Roland mike input XLR to the DBX Line Output 1/4 jack or to the DBX 1/4 INSERT jack? I want to be ale to use the effects (compressor etc.) from the DBX, of course or I would just use the Roland pre-amp by itself. Again, the chain is Computer to Roland to DBX to Mike.Thanks so much!

George
gjdagis
New here

Re: Can someone PLEASE help me with chaining two units?

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am

You'll need another interface to do this. Simplest thing would be to take the line out from the VT-4 and connect it to the Line in on the dbx and take the line out from the dbx and connect it to a line in on the interface. That way you can retain functionality of both devices.

I don't think plugging the VT-4 into the dbx insert path is a good idea as it does not accept line level input and you may well cook it.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby gjdagis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Thank you, Watchmaker

I realized that my VT-4 doesn't have a line in port so I am effectively screwed trying to route it the way that I want to. I guess I am forced to purchase a Focusright Scarlett. :( I was hoping to use the VT-4 as an interface with the DBX feeding INTO the VT-4 and the VT-4 into the computer. Woe is me! LOL
gjdagis
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm

You could use an attenuator or even a DI box to match the two but I'm not sure whether this will really achieve much (if any) improvement in sound.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby gjdagis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Thank you kindly for your reply. I will investigate this! :)
gjdagis
New here