You are here

Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:28 pm

I always wondered what that centre button blue light meant, and now I know. As ever with this device, because documentation is painfully thin on the ground, I discovered it by accident.

It sets the up/down/left/right buttons to be zoom controls. Works brilliantly in Cubase.

Just thought I'd share.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13417
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:44 pm

I've been looking at the x-touch a lot recently, thinking of getting one.
Would you recommend it? Any thoughts, caveats etc would be appreciated.

Thx,

Grant.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am
Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 am

I would recommend it without a moment's hesitation. The only caveat is that you need to label it well - the labels as it comes will likely not match your DAW.

I can only comment with regards Cubase, but just being able to switch between mixer configurations at the touch of a button has been a huge time-saver for me. Like most controllers I find that 80% of its other features are too fiddly to bother taking my hand from the mouse, but what it does it does well.

The one improvement I would love to see is support for track colour from Cubase, but I guess that ship has long since sailed.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13417
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am

Which X Touch model do you have, Elf?
User avatar
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3373
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gallifrey
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am

Image
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13417
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 am

Does the Ziggy Stardust version replace the blue light with a beer light?
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10528
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Random Guitarist » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am
Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Richard Benn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:18 pm

The Elf wrote:I always wondered what that centre button blue light meant, and now I know. As ever with this device, because documentation is painfully thin on the ground, I discovered it by accident.

It sets the up/down/left/right buttons to be zoom controls. Works brilliantly in Cubase.

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks, that's really useful.

+1 to the comment about labels, but it's quite easy to find templates for overlays on the web which you can then customise. I did this for Cubase then printed it out on thin card and stuck it to the X-Touch.

Richard
Richard Benn
Poster
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for the low down.

I'm also seriously considering one as, in addition to linking it with Cubase in the studio, I recently aquired an XR18 for live use.
User avatar
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1843
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Exiled to St Helens

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm

There's a single-fader version as well that might meet a lot of people's needs but without the same desk-space requirements.
On a similar note, I see Presonus are launching a single-fader, 2-preamp interface that looks like it could be a very popular and useful bit of kit.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8972
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I'm also seriously considering one as, in addition to linking it with Cubase in the studio, I recently aquired an XR18 for live use.
I'm in exactly the same sitation. I bought the X-Touch primarily for the XR18, with the Cubase option as a nicety.

In reality things have turned out quite the opposite. I haven't found the X-Touch to be hugely helpful with the XR18, but with Cubase it's become a constant companion. With the XR18 the control panel you get on the PC is so informative, quick and easy to get around that the X-Touch feels clumsy and cumbersome by comparison.

As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13417
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:13 pm

The Elf wrote:I would recommend it without a moment's hesitation. The only caveat is that you need to label it well - the labels as it comes will likely not match your DAW.

Good to know as I've long had the X Touch in mind should my MCU ever go belly up (labelling not a problem since I use Logic :) ).

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8024
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:50 pm

The Elf wrote:As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.
oooh, is that x-touch only or could he perhaps do something for a BCR and BCF?
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8972
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:12 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
The Elf wrote:I would recommend it without a moment's hesitation. The only caveat is that you need to label it well - the labels as it comes will likely not match your DAW.

Good to know as I've long had the X Touch in mind should my MCU ever go belly up (labelling not a problem since I use Logic :) ).

CC


I think what you'd miss if going from the MCU is the track labelling. I really would have liked to have got the x-touch but couldn't see any track display, so I went for an ICON QCON £180 off eBay, and 3 years on, it's still working perfect and like the x-touch has the Mackie protocol along with the blue button ala x-touch
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2692
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:14 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.
oooh, is that x-touch only or could he perhaps do something for a BCR and BCF?

I really liked my BCF/BCRs, one of the best controllers going, but why oh why did Behringer leave off a 9th(master) fader
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2692
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:25 pm

OneWorld wrote:I think what you'd miss if going from the MCU is the track labelling. I really would have liked to have got the x-touch but couldn't see any track display
The track name (in short form) is displayed in the screen above each channel.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13417
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 pm

The Elf wrote:
Music Wolf wrote:I'm also seriously considering one as, in addition to linking it with Cubase in the studio, I recently aquired an XR18 for live use.
I'm in exactly the same sitation. I bought the X-Touch primarily for the XR18, with the Cubase option as a nicety.

In reality things have turned out quite the opposite. I haven't found the X-Touch to be hugely helpful with the XR18, but with Cubase it's become a constant companion. With the XR18 the control panel you get on the PC is so informative, quick and easy to get around that the X-Touch feels clumsy and cumbersome by comparison.

As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.

Are you using it alongside or instead of your Alphatrack? I live in fear of my Alphatrack dying (I've just found a second one cheaply just in case...).
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Bethesda, Cymru
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:46 pm

OneWorld wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.
oooh, is that x-touch only or could he perhaps do something for a BCR and BCF?

I really liked my BCF/BCRs, one of the best controllers going, but why oh why did Behringer leave off a 9th(master) fader
Because he didn't realise people would use them for Hammond drawbars :lol:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9697
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby Phil_AV » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm

"That Blue Light" also works well in Logic Pro. I'm connect usb to a macbook pro. I use the usb ports for a usb turntable and the 2nd usb for my midi controller.
Phil_AV
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Ramirez wrote:Are you using it alongside or instead of your Alphatrack? I live in fear of my Alphatrack dying (I've just found a second one cheaply just in case...).
I'm still using it alongside my Alphatrack, but it's beginning to eye me nervously as I turn to it less and less...
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13417
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: forumuser917498