You are here

Console 1 Fader, why skimp on transport etc?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Console 1 Fader, why skimp on transport etc?

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 am

Console 1 Fader looks great but ...

"It's probably worth noting at this point that there are also deliberate omissions from the Fader 1's feature set that might bother some people. There is, for example, no jog/shuttle wheel, no master fader, no buttons to arm tracks for recording or automation, and no displays that could show channel names on the unit itself. It is, however, possible to combine multiple Fader units in one setup." (Sam's SOS review)

Why on Earth did they leave those bits out? So if I go out and buy Console 1 and Console 1 Fader then great, I'm keyboard and mouse free ... until I want to arm a track or hit record or shuttle back and forth through my project. Do I have to add something like a Faderport as well?! Three controllers, three USB cables and 2 PSUs!

I'm kind of amazed they didn't at least add record given they've got play etc! Or am I missing something?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Console 1 Fader, why skimp on transport etc?

Postby jaminem » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am

I know what you mean.
I am an avid Console 1 user and was excited about the fader, I have a CC121 for my 'left hand' so am not to bothered about the transport, but the lack of record arming and more importantly a track display kill the idea for me.
The beauty of Console 1 is that you don't have to look at the screen, but having no idea of what fader you're moving means you do with this...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm with you on this too. I like the Console 1 a lot (and also like the way it integrates with UAD's software) but there's much too much missing from the Fader for it to be a usable replacement for my MCU. Pity, because I'm rather expecting the Fader to integrate well with Luna.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm

I was almost on the verge of buying into the Console 1 setup but thought I would wait until the Fader was released and when I read about those glaring omissions, I decided against it, one of the rare occasions where the debit card went back into my wallet.

I sort of get that the Console 1/Fader is not a controller, but emulates a mixer, but surely they coud have bolted on transport/arm/master fader option
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 pm

I agree with you all.

I love my Console 1 and use it all the time. I really want to like the Fader, it looks very neat and some cool features but it just seems a bit incomplete.

I get that its supposed to emulate a console, and not a tape machine, but those boundaries have gone by now I think - we all expect record arm buttons on our controllers.

Maybe the logical conclusion is a 'Console 1 Tape', incorporating Softube's Tape plugin as well as proper transport controls and 10 record arm buttons? It would also offer USB daisy chaining to the Console 1 and Fader, as well as provide power to the Fader...

I don't know how they'd design it to work and look well next to the others, but if they did I'd get it and the Fader in a heartbeat!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:17 pm

I can see why they didn't add track displays, as that would have meant building in ten OLED panels and would probably have added at least a couple of hundred to the cost.

The other stuff is a bit of a judgement call, I suppose. Personally I can live without record arm buttons, but I would have liked a jog/shuttle wheel and a Record transport button.

I suspect Softube feel that they don't want to make yet another generic MIDI controller for DAWs -- they want to keep the functionality tied fairly closely to the Console 1 plug-in.
Sam Inglis

Postby jellyjim » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:04 pm

True, true

It's still a great product, just not one that quite fits my needs.

Perhaps it's a focus thing?

Softube are saying "Console 1 and Console Fader are for mixing, use something else for recording."

?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:41 pm

Possibly, but unless one wants to cover one's desk with bits of kit the something else would be a mouse. All taste of course but I much prefer transport buttons and a jog wheel to a mouse. I wouldn't miss the track displays, I've got used to living without those on the Console 1, but transport and jog wheels are a different story.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I suspect Softube feel that they don't want to make yet another generic MIDI controller for DAWs -- they want to keep the functionality tied fairly closely to the Console 1 plug-in.

Yes, and I think that's wise for the most part.

However, there's an 8-fader control surface in the small room at our studio, and by far the most used functions are the transport and record arm buttons! But, granted, that is mostly dubbing/voicover work.

It's a case of very near perfect but just not quite enough for me with the Console 1 Fader. As it is, it seems to me my old Alphatracks still offers me more.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby bluedot » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 am

I found I never used the transport controls on my SSL Nucleus, and it took up a ton of desk space. It's just faster with a trackpad/mouse, and the space bar.

I just had a Console 1 Fader show up at the studio today - without its transport in all its glory.

There's a big issue in Ableton Live. You can't nest/un-nest grouped tracks. In MCU protocol like on a Mackie Universal, or SSL's Nucleus, etc. when you unnest your groups, it moves the faders on down the line.

Console 1 does not. To try to figure out which fader actually goes to the correct track is really difficult, as instead of not showing tracks that may not have the Console 1 plugin installed, it blocks them out - so now a bunch of faders do nothing.

For instance my Drum group - a master with a glue compressor, then the nested tracks (Kick, Snare, Toms, OHH, etc) it would show all of these tracks on the Console 1 Fader even though they were nested under the main drum group.

Additionally if you set solos and mutes, it will not allow you to page to the next 10 faders.

It reminds me of the clunky software that the Console 1 had years ago. I found it unusable.
bluedot
Poster

Postby bluedot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:52 pm

bluedot wrote:It reminds me of the clunky software that the Console 1 had years ago. I found it unusable.

I wanted to follow this up for the record.

- Upgrading the Console1 Software (not just installing the Fader addition) solved the paging and UI issues. It was in their "Softube central" software, and that was a bit obscure that it needed updating.

- While the Ableton Groups and nesting is not supported in their system, the older way of working with submix bus's fits perfectly with their system and accomplishes the same thing.

- The Layer system of Fader allows you to reset the screen and focus on your submix bus's, and thats a clean way to work.

- I like it! :headbang:

As has been said quite a few times, including the SOS review - one has to dive all in to the Softube Console1 workflow, and then it can be a beautiful thing. I'm finding it fast and intuitive, easy to find my tracks and able to jump between my trackpad and the Console1 Fader quickly. Much, much quicker than the SSL Nucleus or the Mackie Universals I used to use. As mentioned in my prior post, I found that I never used their transports and spent a bunch of time trying to find the correct fader to move.
bluedot
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am

Everything is a matter of taste and preference, isn't it? For instance I use the transport buttons and the jog wheel on my MCU all the time. Their absence from the Fader is a deal breaker for me even though I've got a Console 1. And I don't use the Console 1 so much any more. I did like it when I first got it, especially the integration with UAD, but now it seems a bit of a faff somehow.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster