You are here

Anyone use an external vu or led meter?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Anyone use an external vu or led meter?

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Wonks wrote:
The Elf wrote:As shown on the Thomann page, that thing will likely be supplied with a Euro plug PSU. And for this reason I will never again buy anything from Thomann that comes with a PSU. UK options are available! ;)
https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/TC-Electronic-Clarity-M/art-REC0012891-000;pgid=F8zge1C6nWZSRp6f0TQwIxBn0000nvGacd-0

Except that DV247 is German (Music Store), and it will be shipped from Germany. So no guarantee you'll get a UK PSU. Euro PSU and adapter still very likely.

£269 at GAK.
Fair enough. I hadn't realised that. Well worth seeking a UK supplier, though.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Luke W » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Wonks wrote:Note that the Clarity M requires AES3 digital inputs, so isn't suitable for a lot of systems without some form of extra conversion device.

It is a digital-input device -- It has no analogue inputs at all -- but it will happily accept coaxial or optical S/PDIF as well as AES3, so you can run it from a spare S/PDIF output on the interface if you have one...

There's also a USB connection that receives audio via a plug-in if I remember correctly? Not sure how useful that is for this particular situation but it's quite handy if you're lacking a spare digital output.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby N i g e l » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:37 pm

The Elf wrote:
Wonks wrote:
The Elf wrote:As shown on the Thomann page, that thing will likely be supplied with a Euro plug PSU. And for this reason I will never again buy anything from Thomann that comes with a PSU. UK options are available!

Except that DV247 is German (Music Store), and it will be shipped from Germany. So no guarantee you'll get a UK PSU. Euro PSU and adapter still very likely.

yep, I bought some stuff from DV247, same price as Thomann so might as well buy local.
Anyway it shipped from Germany, not a problem but it did have a Euro wall wart.
I tend to stick with Thomann now and have stopped looking at the PSU. They normally provide an adaptor but Im not adverse to buying a £5 UK psu from CPC or similar.

The PSU on my last purchase had a figure of 8 mains lead - very cheap to replace but Thomann included a UK figure 8 lead anyway !

>Sigh< its the 31st on Friday, this time its serious.
:wave: EU shopping
N i g e l
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:10 pm

As I understand it UK suppliers are legally bound to provide a UK plug to UK buyers - an adapter is not acceptable. It's a very unfair world where non-UK companies can supply new gear directly to the UK, yet seemingly can choose to ignore this.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:46 pm

it will never happen of course, but the way to stop this is for large numbers of people to return the goods as 'not fit for purpose - not compliant with UK regulations'.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Well I can confirm I’ve done just that not long ago. I agree - another of these things that if we let it go it will become the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Peevy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Wonks wrote:Note that the Clarity M requires AES3 digital inputs, so isn't suitable for a lot of systems without some form of extra conversion device.It is a digital-input device -- It has no analogue inputs at all -- but it will happily accept coaxial or optical S/PDIF as well as AES3, so you can run it from a spare S/PDIF output on the interface if you have one...

Would something cheap and cheerful like this work for converting an analogue audio source out into the digital inputs on the Clarity M Stereo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Digi ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I was wondering if it could be a useful addition to my Zoom F8 for on location recording. Take the outs from the Zoom into the Clarity M Stereo. Not so much for levels but for the vector scope and correlation meter capability?
Peevy
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 pm

Sure... But you'll need to know -- and ideally adjust -- the analogue-digital alignment level to be able to configure the meter for accurate level and loudness displays.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Peevy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Sure... But you'll need to know -- and ideally adjust -- the analogue-digital alignment level to be able to configure the meter for accurate level and loudness displays.

Thanks Hugh

Could be a neat little setup to help with seeing what’s going on while recording on the F8. I think I’d be able to work out how to get the alignment right after a bit of head scratching.

And the Clarity M Stereo would be a nice bit of useful desktop bling the rest of the time! :D
Peevy
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:48 pm

Peevy wrote:Could be a neat little setup to help with seeing what’s going on while recording on the F8.

I find a vectorscope very useful when recording. I use a little (obsolete) dk technology meter with my nagra vi, so I can see your thinking.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Peevy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I find a vectorscope very useful when recording. I use a little (obsolete) dk technology meter with my nagra vi, so I can see your thinking.

Looks like I may have to give it a try! :D
Peevy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 am

I recently discovered that I can provide the USB feed to my Clarity M *and* the power (using one of those Ripcord USB/power cables - 9V, but it seems to work OK) to it from the two USB ports on my X-Touch. Combined with a RAM mount to my X-Touch's pedestal it makes a very cable-tidy mixing station!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Peevy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm

I’m pleased to report that the Clarity M (with the cheap and cheerful analogue to digital converter as above) is working fine with the Zoom F8. (Stereo mini jack out of sub 1 & 2 to rca phonos into converter. Then connected via Toslink to Clarity M)

Loudness peak levels are about 8db up on the Clarity M as far as I can tell, but I’ve still to take a proper look at that. But main reason for the Clarity M with Zoom F8 is for the vector scope and correlation meter on location and that works great!

Also works perfect with my DAW. :D
Peevy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:56 pm

The Clarity M has become indispensable to me since loudness normalisation became the standard. Play the track through, check the screen - there's your answer. It really is that simple. I've always run mine as a plug-in on my monitoring output - it just sits there and does the job.

(Image moved to the right post for you! HR)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Telegraph Audio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:55 am

We use Soviet indicators in our devices. And we do the lighting ourselves. It looks very interesting and very comfortable.
Telegraph Audio
Telegraph Audio. We shape the music.

Postby Telegraph Audio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:20 am

Look at the https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 37#p645437 ! This is Soviet vu ! We use them in our devices! It is very beautiful and comfortable!
Telegraph Audio
Telegraph Audio. We shape the music.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:02 pm

Sorry, I'm not really understanding these two posts?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 pm

Drive-by self-promo post...

Russian-made preamps/channel strips that use Russian-made backlit VU meters. Vaguely related subject I guess... but not actually relevant to the OP's requirement for a rack-mount meter system.

New member, not familiar with the ways of the SOS forum and English not the first language. An amount of slack is being cut...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jodaki » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Regarding the Clarity M Stereo.

Is this better/more accurate than the plugin meters I use in Logic (Waves Dorrough and the Logic Loudness meter)?

If so then how would I best connect it, Ive got the following options:

- USB out from my computer

spare outputs from my converter:
- adat
- coaxial spdif

- with my crookwood monitor controller

Id probably prefer the USB option for simplicity if that will work as well as the other connection types.
jodaki
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:45 pm

jodaki wrote:Is this better/more accurate than the plugin meters...

It's the same -- Loudness measurements are defined precisely and every meter uses the same algorithms.

If so then how would I best connect it

It doesn't matter from an accuracy point of view as they are all straight digital feeds... so use whichever is more convenient.

However, you might want to connect it to the dedicated meter output of the monitor controller itself, so that it follows whatever you are listening to. The only downside with that is that the meter output on the Crookwood is usually analogue, so you'd need an A-D to feed the meter.

In my own setup I have an analogue BBC-style twin-twin PPM on the Crookwood monitor controller's outputs, and a DK technologies MSD600M++ digital meter across the digital record outputs of the Crookwood mastering console.
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext