You are here

USB Cable?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

USB Cable?

Postby forumuser773232 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 am

Question, can I use a printer USB cable to connect my recording interface to my computer?I have rearranged some studio space and need a longer cable to reach my interface to my computer. I noticed that the current interface cable looks exactly the same my printer USB cable, and it's also the perfect length, so was wondering if I can use it or do I need to purchase a specific USB cable?
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: USB Cable?

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 am

Provided that it is a USB2 cable, it should be fine with your audio interface. As the name implies USB cables should be universal ;)
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 am

forumuser773232 wrote:Question, can I use a printer USB cable to connect my recording interface to my computer?I have rearranged some studio space and need a longer cable to reach my interface to my computer. I noticed that the current interface cable looks exactly the same my printer USB cable, and it's also the perfect length, so was wondering if I can use it or do I need to purchase a specific USB cable?

I had a need for longer USB cables and I can recommend these:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0777NX8PD

I've used them for a while now with no problems at all (one of them is carrying 18 channels of audio from a digital desk to my DAW). If you need micro-USB then these also work really well:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X1BKQBY

Note that you cannot exceed 3 metres reliably on a USB cable without some kind of booster or powered hub in the middle.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ef37a » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 am

I used a 5mtr A-B cable for a few years between a desktop and an NI KA6 without a hint of trouble. However is was a good quality Lindy cable.The 'quid a pop' jobs at RockBottom might not be so good! Has to be said as well that NI state in their user manual that 3mtrs is the recommended maximum.

Did the cable come with the printer? I ask because AFAIK printers are often just USB 1.1 which is plenty fast enough for the purpose. Not likely to work for an AI though.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster