You are here

Using wide cardioids as an ORTF pair?

Page 3 of 3

Re: Using wide cardioids as an ORTF pair?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:20 am
by Hugh Robjohns
Arpangel wrote:I need a stand that enables me to have the stereo bar flat, not on its side, which happens if I use a standard boom arm...

There are plenty of mic stands without boom arms, and plenty of 'ball & socket' type knuckle adaptors if you must use a bar on a near-horizontal boom arm.

But actually, I can't think of a time when I've had a problem setting up a stereo array on a vertical stereo bar. You just need mic mounts that can hang the mic below the bar... I use Rycote InVisions a lot with my SDCs.

H

Re: Using wide cardioids as an ORTF pair?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:09 pm
by Arpangel
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I need a stand that enables me to have the stereo bar flat, not on its side, which happens if I use a standard boom arm...

There are plenty of mic stands without boom arms, and plenty of 'ball & socket' type knuckle adaptors if you must use a bar on a near-horizontal boom arm.

But actually, I can't think of a time when I've had a problem setting up a stereo array on a vertical stereo bar. You just need mic mounts that can hang the mic below the bar... I use Rycote InVisions a lot with my SDCs.

H

These Schoeps CCM's have little adaptors, they are very fragile if you try and contort them too far, in fact, they aren’t ideal unless you use them in a very stable situation. You know the ones? The SGC clamps, they clip over the bit where the cable enters the mic. I’ve actually broke one and you have to be very careful.
The Rycote Invision series look good, I’ll just have to get a couple of those.

Re: Using wide cardioids as an ORTF pair?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:48 pm
by forumuser840717
Arpangel wrote:These Schoeps CCM's have little adaptors, they are very fragile if you try and contort them too far, in fact, they aren’t ideal unless you use them in a very stable situation. You know the ones? The SGC clamps, they clip over the bit where the cable enters the mic. I’ve actually broke one and you have to be very careful.
The Rycote Invision series look good, I’ll just have to get a couple of those.

The original SGCs are quite easy to break as the plastic can be rather brittle especially as they age but the latest ones are made of a different, softer, plastic (maybe Hytrel) which is all but impossible to break in normal use (you could probably melt it but I've trodden on one with no ill effects).

For more gorilla-like handling, they do a metal version, the SGCM but they're comparatively expensive and for day to day use I'd say that the Rycote Invision mounts are better value and offer the useful bonus of very effective shock mounting which the SGC/Ms don't do. For me, the SGC/Ms only really come into use when I need a super low visual profile.

Re: Using wide cardioids as an ORTF pair?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm
by Arpangel
forumuser840717 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:These Schoeps CCM's have little adaptors, they are very fragile if you try and contort them too far, in fact, they aren’t ideal unless you use them in a very stable situation. You know the ones? The SGC clamps, they clip over the bit where the cable enters the mic. I’ve actually broke one and you have to be very careful.
The Rycote Invision series look good, I’ll just have to get a couple of those.

The original SGCs are quite easy to break as the plastic can be rather brittle especially as they age but the latest ones are made of a different, softer, plastic (maybe Hytrel) which is all but impossible to break in normal use (you could probably melt it but I've trodden on one with no ill effects).

For more gorilla-like handling, they do a metal version, the SGCM but they're comparatively expensive and for day to day use I'd say that the Rycote Invision mounts are better value and offer the useful bonus of very effective shock mounting which the SGC/Ms don't do. For me, the SGC/Ms only really come into use when I need a super low visual profile.

I’ve always thought that those Rycote Mounts look ugly, but that’s not a problem in my application.
I’m going to have to jump on board this damn Rycote wagon, I need a blimp too, and I’m fully aware of you get what you pay for in this department.