You are here

Noisy Preamp

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Noisy Preamp

Postby Argiletonne » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 am

the light blows so the company knows whether you tampered with it so that they can know whether you voided warranty,.
the device says no user serviceable parts.
no way getting around that one sir,.
as for noise, you might need to check your volume on your speakers or even whether it's coming from the device your preamping,.
Argiletonne
Poster
Attention: Unpopular Middle Child 
Argiletonne Forevier™
1185 Normandy Dr.
Somberland, USA 16370

Postby jimh76 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:10 am

Sorry. I should have clarified. Thegdjp.
light blew 2 years ago before I'd opened it up. Changing the tube worked though and the preamp sounds really nice and quiet now.

Cheers for everyone's help

Jim
jimh76
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Sorry... just caught up with this thread and these odd comments need some balance.

Argiletonne wrote:the light blows so the company knows whether you tampered with it so that they can know whether you voided warranty,.

This allegation is utter nonsense! The light blew either because of a power supply fault (unlikely) or physical shock or ageing. I know of no manufacturer that would configure some ridiculous arrangement of blowing a light bulb to indicate if the case has been opened! There are far easier ways...

If it's an incandescent bulb in the meter it will be easily (but possibly not obviously) replacable because failure would be anticipated. However, its more likely these days that the bulb would be an LED and that might be rather harder to get at because they are normally expected to last the lifetime of the product. If you can supply some images we might be able to offer more advice on what to do there...

...the device says no user serviceable parts.

And yet the manual describes in detail how to change the valve:

Presonus wrote:3.6 FAQ/Troubleshooting: Can I switch the tube?
The TubePRE’s tube can be switched as long as it is a 12AX7. Proper
caution must be taken when switching the tube. Please refer to Section
3.5 of this manual for further directions on changing the tube or check
our website at http://www.presonus.com.

And (my added emphasis)...

Presonus wrote:3.5 Some Thoughts on Vacuum Tubes
The TubePRE comes supplied with a 12AX7 vacuum tube that meets or exceeds the stated performance criteria for the unit. We expect some owners of the TubePRE will try different tubes to investigate the various performance possibilities they might provide. Remember, tube life and performance are affected by how often a tube is used and by how hard the tube is driven when in use. Signs of wear may be exhibited by poor performance or by the tube becoming “microphonic”. Periodic replacement of the vacuum tube is recommended. The time between the suggested replacements varies greatly with use. If you notice deterioration in sound quality then it’s time to change the tube
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Thwack!

(Ball - boundary).
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby jimh76 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm

I was going to mention the manual, but didn't want to start an argument...... :D
jimh76
Regular

Previous