You are here

Anytime soon a new F8x edition by Zoom with 32-bit float?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Anytime soon a new F8x edition by Zoom with 32-bit float?

Postby george_vel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...
That's really easy... just set a 24-bit recorder up with plenty of headroom.

I set the levels during the choir warm-up to leave 20-25dB headroom. Never clipped yet during a performance!
H
The post was edited by me - most likely not relevant for here. :-)

However, I thank to Hugh - his inputs are always invaluable ;-)
george_vel
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:25 pm

george_vel wrote:I had an argue with a student from BG music academy currently going through sound engineering grade why I’ve set the gains so low - that would increase noise in post when normalizing audio...

Extremely unlikely.

A good 24 bit converter will have a system noise-floor around -120dBFS, and even a very poor one will be around -110dBFS. So if you are leaving 20dB of headroom the recorder's noise floor is still around 90-100dB below the peaks.

Now, if you can find a venue with an ambient noise floor that low you're in one of only half a dozen concert halls in the world... And even then it won't be that low once your choir is in place and breathing, and it will be 20dB higher still with an audience in situ!

In reality, the ambient acoustic noise floor will typically be around -70dBFS (+/-10dB) and way above any system noise. So the only noise you'll hear will be the ambient noise, and any normalising will obviously raise that ambient noise floor -- as any gain adjustment will -- but it won't change the actual signal (singing) to (ambient) noise ratio at all.

The technical performance is not compromised in any practical way by leaving a generous headroom, provided the acoustic dynamic range of the recorded material is less than the 24-bit recorder's remaining dynamic range -- which it is in all but the most extreme situations. It usually is with a 16-bit recorder too, actually, but you'd need a much smaller headroom margin in that situation, so it's not quite as comfortable and forgiving to work with.

Then in audition I made a de-noise first, then increased the volume and made some mix and mastering.

I presume you're denoising the ambient acoustic noise rather than preamp or system noise?

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, I'm afraid....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby george_vel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
george_vel wrote:I had an argue with a student from BG music academy currently going through sound engineering grade why I’ve set the gains so low - that would increase noise in post when normalizing audio...

I presume you're denoting the ambient acoustic noise rather than preamp or system noise?

I am not quite sure what you’re saying but I’ll tell you what I did and you can tell :-)

In the beginning the recording was really quiet in the DAW itself.
I made an extreme zoom-in and found a spot where only noise “hisssss” (after increasing with 30db) was audible, capture the noise profile and did de-noise filter. Then I’ve amplified the recording and no noise was audible. Also I haven’t perceived any distortion in singing as well.
So to my understanding, I was good to go :-)
george_vel
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:13 pm

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous