You are here

Blue Reactor LDC microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Blue Reactor LDC microphone

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 pm

A few of years ago I bought a Blue Reactor mic off their 'ex demo' stock sale on ebay. I haven't used it much as I haven't done any serious vocal recording for a long time. I fired it up to record a quick and dirty demo for the guys in the band and was hugely disappointed to discover that it sounds really bad. I'll assume it has a fault as it has a distinctly 'telephone voice' sound to it. I did a further check today, using a Calrec SDC as a control and the characteristic sound is still there with the Calrec sounding much more natural.

It's well out of warrantee and was very cheap at around £100 so not sure whether it's worth getting it checked out or not. Any thoughts?

FWIW I'm thinking while the funds are available I should sell it (assuming I can get it working properly again) and my SE 2200 to help fund a Neumann of some flavour or something else tried and tested?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Blue Reactor LDC microphone

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:13 pm

I reread the SOS review of the Blue Reactor* and it's very favourable. Mine doesn't sound good at the moment so it sounds like it may faulty in some way. I'll try a warm dry place just in case it's condensation (but I think that unlikely as it lives in the 'studio' which doesn't get too cold or humid) no apparent crackles or pops though so any other suggestions?

* https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/blue-reactor
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm

You could try leaving it "on" for a few days.

I've known capsules to come alive after being in storage for a long time.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 pm

Cheers, I'll give it a try, though that would mean leaving a mixer on for a few days too (I have no other source of Spook Power but I do have several mixers and, I've just remembered, my AER).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster