You are here

Headphones recommendation

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Headphones recommendation

Postby Moozeeck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 am

I recently bought Genius HS-200C headphones https://www.cnet.com/products/genius-hs-200c-headset/ for using with DAW.
I delibaretly bought cheap headphones beacuse my opinion is if the music mix sound good on them then it'll sound good everywhere.
They have a nice sound, and they are mostly ok for the purpose I intend to, but I noticed a problem.
Headphones have some sound like it's spatial, I think you know what I am talking about.
Also, drums on them sound quieter then on other headphones or speakers.

My question is, what headphones would you recommend in range of this Genius, that would be good for the purpose of sound mixing with DAW?
Moozeeck
Poster

Re: Headphones recommendation

Postby John Willett » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Moozeeck wrote:My question is, what headphones would you recommend in range of this Genius, that would be good for the purpose of sound mixing with DAW?

Nothing at all.

For mixing with a DAW you really need open-back headphones of the highest quality which you can trust.

These are not cheap.

I use teh Sennheiser HD 800, but the cheaper HD 700, HD 650 and HD 600 are also good. beyerdynamic open headphones are also recommended.

Yes - have cheap and cheerful headphones as well to check how the mix will sound on crap systems, but you will really need good cans to mix on.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm

As John says, you can't mix what you can't hear. Use cheap headphones for checking by all means but I'd be looking at something like a set of AKG K702 or Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 as a solid starting point for mixing headphones.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Headphones have some sound like it's spatial, I think you know what I am talking about

I find that I need to mix on speakers to get levels and panning right but good quality open backed headphones for eq adjustments.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Moozeeck wrote:I delibaretly bought cheap headphones beacuse my opinion is if the music mix sound good on them then it'll sound good everywhere.
I'm afraid things don't work like that - though it would be a damned sight less costly for us all if it did!

Take a look at the AKG K7xx & K8xx. Easily my favourite mixing headphones and capable of producing commercially viable mixes.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby luantruong87 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 pm

I used KNS8400 for years and I just picked up Sennheiser HD600 and switch back and forth between these to do mixing. I feel HD600 gives better space accuracy and details to mix than KNS8400 does. I recommend using Sonarworks plugin to give better headphone performance.
luantruong87
Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 pm

Moozeeck wrote:I delibaretly bought cheap headphones beacuse my opinion is if the music mix sound good on them then it'll sound good everywhere.

Imagine you buy glasses that filter out green, blue and white, or even show them as different colors. Then you want to evaluate a picture so that it looks good everywhere..

Bad speakers/room/headphones are more akin to that: they hide and confuse information. If you mix on them, chances are there'll be things in your mix you aren't hearing but other will, and things you think you're hearing, but aren't there (and in other places it'll be very noticeable).

Whereas a good mix will be reproduced to the best of the ability of any given playback system - as good as it can get on that one.

Room and speakers (in that order) or headphones are the most critical element for mixing - perhaps the only truly critical element worth investing money in in. All the rest - computers, DAWs, plugins is far less relevant - especially nowadays with free DAWs which come with pretty good stock effect plugins.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:41 pm

MOF wrote:
Headphones have some sound like it's spatial, I think you know what I am talking about

I find that I need to mix on speakers to get levels and panning right but good quality open backed headphones for eq adjustments.

MOF, have you tried Waves Nx or a similar system? Give it a go, it will allow you to judge panning and levels better than phones alone. Obviously you'll probably want to sanity-check decisions on speakers, at least until you feel you can trust the system (if ever).

CS70 wrote:
Imagine you buy glasses that filter out green, blue and white, or even show them as different colors. Then you want to evaluate a picture so that it looks good everywhere..

Excellent analogy CS, and I tried using a similar one when discussing this subject with a visual-artist once, except I used a coloured lightbulb (as the lightsource illuminating the scene) per example. He didn't get it, refused to accept the premise entirely. Hopefully we'll have better luck ITT!

To be fair, your version is perhaps clearer than my attempt, plus I was drunk at the time!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 am

CS70 wrote:Imagine you buy glasses that filter out green, blue and white, or even show them as different colors. Then you want to evaluate a picture so that it looks good everywhere...

Very good analogy, but to expand on it some more. Many of you will have noticed that when wearing yellow or pink tinted sunglasses, the colour hue difference seems extreme to begin with, but then we get used to it. Our brains adapt the information given. When we remove them initially everything has a blue hue - until we adjust again.

So this is a real problem if our sound source is not giving us full information - we quickly adapt what we’re hearing to be the norm - when it isn’t!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Really great point Bob, one I need to incorporate into my own attempts to explain this stuff in future.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Really great point Bob, one I need to incorporate into my own attempts to explain this stuff in future.

Seconded - it's amazing what we can get used to - I recall an experiment with goggles that turned normal vision upside down. The test subject fell over quite a few times at first, but after a few hours (IIRC) of use, his brain adapted and interpreted the inverted image as normal.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:44 pm

Oh yeah Martin I remember that! Always meant to try it out on a . . . willing volunteer.

Of course the kicker to that particular experiment was that on removal of the goggles, normal unmoderated vision of the test subjects was flipped for some period of time until the brain started processing input nominally again.

I believe it's actually much harder to fool the brain on sound than on visuals. That is, that's what I've read - it's not a deeply held conviction.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:56 pm

On the topic of headphone reccs . . . if you want amazing bass response and dynamics, Audeze ought to be included in the list.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby MOF » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:09 am

MOF, have you tried Waves Nx or a similar system? Give it a go, it will allow you to judge panning and levels better than phones alone. Obviously you'll probably want to sanity-check decisions on speakers, at least until you feel you can trust the system (if ever).

No I haven’t, I might buy Waves’ Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin some time but I think the combination of headphones and speakers is sufficient for now.
If I was constantly travelling with a laptop and had deadlines to fulfil then yes I’d buy it now.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Moozeeck » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Wow, I mean really wow!

I asked simple and straightforward question, and instead of a simple answer, I get 12 worthless answers.
I know that I can buy expensive mixing headphones, I am not interested in that!
I need a simple cheap headphones that wouldn't go wrong either!
Moozeeck
Poster

Next