You are here

Audio Interface Advice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audio Interface Advice

Postby Dicko » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:49 pm

I'm looking for an USB Interface
About £100 to £200 with 2 inputs and 2 outputs for my home pc (Windows 10 using Cubase) 10.5
It must also have MIDI in / out.
I've noticed some now have usb-c (Is this faster) obviously i want the fastest real time latency but still can't decide which is the best one
Any help would be appreciated.
Dicko
Regular

Re: Audio Interface Advice

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:02 pm

The type of computer connection won't make any practical difference to speed or latency -- they are all massively more capable than the requirements of a 2-in/2-out interface. USB2 is by far the most ubiquitous and future-proof, so I'd recommend anything with USB2 for starters.

Latency is really down to the quality of the drivers, and the working life of the interface will be down to how long and how well the manufacturer supports and updates its drivers. By far the best, with a well-proven and highly regarded track record, is RME.

However, the lowest cost models are the Babyface Pro FS at around £700 an the Fireface UC, at around £750. Both have MIDI. Obviously, that's well above your budget... but they will last you decades and several computer OS upgrades! So the cost per years will be a lot lower than the initial outlay.

As for options that are within your budget, there's the Presonus Audio Box, Behringer UMC204, Steinberg UR22, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, Zoom UAC2 (USB3.0), and Focusrite Scarlett 4i4.

Of those, I use the 4i4 and UAC2 for portable rigs. They're both fine although I prefer the UAC.

Lots of folk here rate the NI KA6...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:29 pm

For my two cents I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett with a few more ins and outs than you're looking for, but I really enjoy the interface. It's easy to use which was a big plus for me. To be fair I've recently "re-entered" the recording world and this is my first USB interface, but in my mind the fact that I've not been looking for an alternative means it's working well for me.
nickle15
Poster

Postby Dicko » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 am

Thanks Guys.
Dicko
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:13 pm

Pushing the budget up slightly, there's also the new SSL 2+ to consider (£239). Looks like they are due to be hitting the shops in around a weeks time.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ssl-2-usb-c ... WUQAvD_BwE
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ben howes » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:16 pm

The NI KA6 version 1 can be had for about £100 now that version 2 is out. Seems like good value, I just got one advertised on gumtree.
ben howes
Regular