You are here

Choosing two more mics (+question about my setup)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Choosing two more mics (+question about my setup)

Postby seten » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:52 pm

Hey, my current setup for drums is:
sm57 top snare
sm57 bottom snare
technical pro cmc 500 kick drum
sm58 floor tom
pair of samson c02 overheads

If I have to record my band I move the bottom snare 57 to the guitar, do bass direct in, and the 58 to vocals.

I'd like to replace the cmc 500 with a better bass mic (question 1) that I can also use on the bass cab when I'm just doing it on its own.

My interface has one more mic input so I'd like to get an 8th mic to fill it out (question 2) but I can't decide what would be best. I'm thinking either:

a large diaphragm for vocals (then I'd throw the 58 back on drums - either floor tom or bottom snare for band setup),

an exclusive guitar mic,

an exclusive bass cab mic,

an exclusive floor tom mic,

or a third overhead so I can get hihat/ride/crash separately which leads me to my last question. Assuming just the pair of c02's and I point one at the ride and the other at the hihat - but higher than the crash - I'm assuming they will pick up enough of the crash since the crash will be in the side-front - ish region of the cardoid pattern. I know I'll just have to experiment but wanted to get general thoughts since I'm deciding if that would be a worthwhile mic to buy..
seten

Re: Choosing two more mics (+question about my setup)

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:32 am

If I were in your situation, I would get either a Heil PR30 or Heil PR40. I would use either of those on every source you mentioned except as an overhead. Both are excellent mics and come in for a tad less money then the usual large diaphragm dynamics. As for mic positioning for overhead vs hihat, there are plenty of ways to change the overhead setup to balance the hats vs crash vs ride and I would experiment with those before looking to a separate hat mic when on a 5 channel limit for the drums with the group.
Funkyflash5
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 am

Why not DI the bass? I can think of very few situations where the live/amplified sound of the bass is better than the DI. The Orchid Classic DI* is excellent, has a link out so you can still run the bass through the amp in the room and, best of all, only costs £36.

That frees up your budget to buy your better kick mic or additional overhead.

BTW, if I'm in 'mic everything' mode I'll use 7 or 8 mics on the kit, kick, snare, hats, 2 or 3 x toms & 2 x overheads but I'm a live sound guy.

* http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/classic_DI.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Why not DI the bass? I can think of very few situations where the live/amplified sound of the bass is better than the DI.

How true!

Spent and afternoon this week tracking my bass player thru an ISA One (in DI mode) and it just purrrrrrrrs....
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:27 pm

seten wrote:Hey, my current setup for drums is:
sm57 top snare
sm57 bottom snare
technical pro cmc 500 kick drum
sm58 floor tom
pair of samson c02 overheads

If I have to record my band I move the bottom snare 57 to the guitar, do bass direct in, and the 58 to vocals.

My first instinct here would be to get something that allows me to keep two mics on the snare. Or as second priority to be able to get two mics on the kick drum, one inside to capture the beater sound and one out to capture the "ooomph"
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page