You are here

RME Fireface 802, Total Mix & Monitor Volume

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RME Fireface 802, Total Mix & Monitor Volume

Postby trash116 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi all.

After getting some great advice on here earlier in the week about some issues with hums and my hardware, i've thought this forum would be a good place to ask another (noob) question.

I've been reading up on monitor controllers as a way of helping me adjust my monitor volumes without using the controls on the front of monitors. I've been looking at the lower priced end of the market to suit my hobbyist budget - i've seen on this forum that the JBL nanopatch+ gets some good recommendations.

The audio interface i use is a RME Fireface 802. RME make a remote with a knob that you can use amongst other things to control the volume of the main output in the RME TotalMix software.

I only use TotalMix in DAW mode, as mixing/routing in my DAW is just my preference and suits my workflow.

I was wondering

1) Is The RME Remote is a good solution for controlling volume i hear out of the monitors/alternative to a monitor controller? any pros/cons between the two methods?

2) Would the RME remote still control the main output of TotalMix when in DAW mode?

Price wise the RME remote new is more expensive than the NanoPatch+, but someone has offered me one 2nd hand at about the same price as the nanopatch+

Apologies if these are obvious questions
Many thanks in advance
trash116
Poster

Re: RME Fireface 802, Total Mix & Monitor Volume

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm

trash116 wrote:1) Is The RME Remote is a good solution for controlling volume i hear out of the monitors/alternative to a monitor controller? any pros/cons between the two methods?
If your computer is uttering ear-splitting noise as the result of a software crash, then RME's remote may not be able to control anything to help you. The advantage of a hardware monitor control is that it is not reliant on software and so always available.

trash116 wrote:2) Would the RME remote still control the main output of TotalMix when in DAW mode?
I believe so.

I use the RME remote myself and have to admit that I find it much less useful that I thought. When I need to control volume I reach for my AI's own level controls - and I can never remember what all the remote's buttons do. The only button I have set in my memory is the mute.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Sure, it's fine and will get the job done - but it (the Fireface) isn't a passive monitor controller so you will lose bit-depth doing it this way. How much of a big deal that is for you only you can decide.

Second question . . . I thiiinnnnk soooo . . . been a long time since I actually had my remote plugged in and I can't remember if I ever ran DAW mode with it in use but, gut says yes.

If that's the advanced remote control - doesn't matter either way, you'd be crazy not to get it for that price. If it's the original (blue) model, not so much. Not that the original's not handy (it's what I have), just that wouldn't be as great a bargain.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Yeah, that's without a doubt the absolute best reason for a passive controller - emergency protection. Great point.

Won't do much to help* with the temporary paralysis as that noiseburst melts your brain.

. . .

. . .

. . . Ask me how I know this. :D Just last night an' all!

* But it will actually help in the example given by The Elf. My mishap was just waaaaay too much volume into my phones from a media-player app I hadn't alligned.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular