You are here

Mix Pre 3M & USB ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mix Pre 3M & USB ?

Postby Scouser » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Just wondered if anyone can shine any light on mix pre 3M usb inputs.

I think it is possible to input via usb, but not sure how ?

Essentially what I want to do is run music apps on my iPad Pro and output them to the mix pre, via usb. This would be a game changer for me if I could have an iOS drum module running and record it direct to the mix pre. Or maybe this could be done via the aux/mic in ?

Thanks
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Mix Pre 3M & USB ?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:43 pm

Scouser wrote:I think it is possible to input via usb, but not sure how ?

If memory serves, you just select one of the USB feeds as the input source to one of the input channels (instead of the default mic or line or aux input sources).
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Scouser » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 am

Yeh, I did try that Hugh,

In the input selection the usb inputs are either left or right or you can select both. As mentioned above I did try the usb a, but wasn’t sure which of the usb ports acts as the input, usb c or usb a ? I use the usb c to power it.

I was surprised when I connected my iPhone X via the mix pre and it was picked up in the video app (filmic) a real game changer for me, no more syncing.

So I thought this current problem would be a breeze, little did I know.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Scouser » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Still not having any joy with this.

Updated firmware, so now able to assign usb input, but getting more distortion than anything else, doesn't seem to matter what I do, would love to figure this out ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:59 pm

Have you contacted the company or looked at their FAQs?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Distortion on the USB signal suggests, to me, a local computer driver problem or sample-rate problem or something like that. If this was a widespread issue I'd have expected to have heard more complaints -- I know of a lot of MixPre users now...

Sound Devices tech support is very good so I'd contact them for assistance.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Scouser » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Thanks, yeh I’ve dropped them a line, hopefully they will get back, they have been good in the past. Essentially I’m trying to output virtual drummer app and/or GarageBand From iPad to mix pre. They have already told me they don’t support iOS, but made some suggestions. I could always Bluetooth it to speaker and record it that way, but would have been nice to have on the mix pre, as a basis for recording other instruments..
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Scouser wrote:I’m trying to output virtual drummer app and/or GarageBand From iPad to mix pre. They have already told me they don’t support iOS...

Ah ha. Fair enough. Incompatible driver issues... I get it. I doubt that's fixable then...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Trevor Johnson » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:40 pm

I stream and record OK USB to my mix-pre 3, but from either a PC or Macbook plugged in to its mains power supply. Supplying power to the mix-pre at the same time as streaming USB.

How are you powering your mix-pre when you are streaming from the iPad?
Trevor Johnson
Regular