You are here

Learning Logic Pro X

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Learning Logic Pro X

Postby stormcat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:35 am

I'm a seasoned musician and would like to get into Logic pro x and record. any suggestions on how to get up to speed on the software and setup for recording of live voice and instruments? I've seen some 3-day training with learn quest but not sure it's optimal.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
stormcat
New here

Re: Learning Logic Pro X

Postby MOF » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:34 am

I think that YouTube videos will help here and/or books from the SOS shop. Do you already have an audio interface and microphones and what is your level of experience with recording technology?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:01 am

I suspect this will depend on whether you are new to DAWs, sequencing and audio on a computer, or if you are already familiar with some other DAW and just want to learn the specifics of how Logic does things.

It will also depend on your intended uses - for example, the areas to focus on will be different if you are, for example, mostly recording bands in a studio setting (where you'd just skip sequencing, MIDI, virtual instruments etc), compared to making EDM with virtual instruments (although there will of course be plenty of overlap).

There are plenty of online training courses, both free on YouTube, and more from established video training companies, if that's the route you want to go down. Or you could spend a day paying for someone to come and set up your system for you, and walk through through the basics according to your needs, and supplement that initial grounding with YouTube etc.

And some people prefer to learn from books, and that's ok too..!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby stormcat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:53 am

I’m really new to all of it. So any guidance would be appreciated. I’m not looking to setup a commercial studio but rather a place to write and record to aN acceptable level of completeness
stormcat
New here

Postby Zukan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Zukan

Postby stormcat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:55 pm

zukan,

thank you for the link.

can you please provide an explicit link as you're link takes me to a ton of various courses not related to Logic Pro?

thank you.
stormcat
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:06 pm

If you click on the filter box at the top of the page that Zukan linked to you can get it to only show you Logic courses.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby stormcat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 pm

thank you all for the guidance. I'm on my way and starting with beginners guide from SOS library. any recommendation on the appropriate hardware in terms of MAC/Apple computer and the hardware to record voice and other instruments be it acoustic and midi?
stormcat
New here

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Oh, lots and lots. But to get it down to a manageable number we need a few more bits of info from you, if that's OK. What sort of music do you want to make? How many people are you likely to want to record at once? What sort of budget do you have?

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby stormcat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:34 am

i don't have a budget specifically allocated but definitely don't want to cheapen things. I want to be able to record 1 - 3 people at a given time and full band some times but environmentally mic'd not each instrument. some direct some mic, overlay midi stuff, acoustic piano, sounds, etc...

i hope that's specific enough. I'm just not sure what equipment i'll need beyond a mac, microphones, amplifiers, instruments, and chords :)
stormcat
New here

Postby stormcat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:34 pm

To clarify my ask, what type of Mac is optimal and the various hardware interfaces that allow me to record live vocals, live band, direct and indirect guitars, and midi for keyboard

Thanks again for the insight
stormcat
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm

With an appropriate interface any relatively recent MacBook Pro (I have a 2011 and a 2012) or 'cheese grater' Mac Pro (mine is a 2008) would be adequate to record a live band and run a few VSTi's or almost any number of midi tracks. Difficulties with modern MBPs might be lack of sufficient USB sockets, the base models only have one USBC socket which shares powering/charging, some USB interfaces, I believe, don't like USB hubs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:07 pm

I'd recommend finding a good Youtuber and sticking with them. My personal faves are Dancetech and MusicTechHelpGuy. They have excellent beginner to expert serieses which are easy to follow.

Kit-wise, you need a Mac (DOH!) and an interface, primarily. As others have said, so much depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend, but something like a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 will let Logic record up to 8 live microphones plus line inputs all at once. They're very much plug and play and if you do have problems, Focusrite are British with a proper phone help line...invaluable in my opinion. One of these will set you back around £300 from memory. Everything else plugs into your interface, all your mics, your monitors, your headphones, your guitars and basses if you don't want to mic up an amplifier etc etc.

Next you need either some good studio monitors (as in loudspeakers) or some good headphones, ideally both. You get much more bang for your buck with headphones and something like Sennheiser HD600s are pro quality for £200ish. Alternatively there are a million varieties of speakers which others will have a more up to date view on than I can. But names to look out for are Genelec, KRK, Focal, Eventide, Neumann, Tannoy and so on. For a semi-pro pair I guess you're talking around a grand brand new. There are millions of threads about monitors on here. I'd recommend active ones, that don't need a separate amplifier. Tannoy Active Reveals used to be great starter speakers but no idea if this is still the case.

Then microphones. This is another world into which you can disappear (and take lots of money with you). You can do a lot of great work with something like a Shure SM58 which you can use for everything from vocals to drums. Every home should have one. They're about £90? Maybe then invest in a 'condensor' mic of some sort. These require 'phantom' power which your interface will provide but are more sensitive and the sky is the limit price-wise. But for £200 you can get great performance with models from Audio Technica and Rode, for example.

Hope that helps. Give yourself £2000 to spend above the Mac and you'll get a studio setup that can record genuinely pro quality music.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns