You are here

Audio Issues with Samson Meteor Mic since firmware update

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audio Issues with Samson Meteor Mic since firmware update

Postby Nazaradine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Hey Guys,

First time poster and I hope you can help me out with an issue I am having.

I am an audiobook narrator that uses a Samson Meteor mic, the latest Audacity build and Windows 10. I have a new desktop machine with a Sound Blaster Z soundcard and my drivers are up to date.

I read somewhere about Samson's sound deck software and thought the real-time noise reduction that comes with it sounded pretty cool, so I installed this. This brought to my attention that my Samson mic wasn't registering as a Samson mic and just as generic microphone in Windows/Audacity, and this led me to implement a firmware fix - and now Windows recognises it as a Samson mic. This has brought problems.

There's now a persistent crackle on my recordings that wasn't there before the firmware fix and some of the audio is breaking up really badly. I looked into this and most of the information seemed to suggest that this was as a result of the mic being overloaded and to turn down the input volume, but this is where is gets weird (to my mind, anyway) - I used to have my recording volume set at around 2 before the firmware fix, but the crackling is much worse at low volumes. If I turn the recording volume up to around 8, the crackling is much reduced, but not entirely.

Any ideas? I would much prefer to record at low volumes and then normalize to reduce background noise, etc. If it's a case of uninstalling the firmware and just using it as a generic mic again that's ok, but I do not know how to do this.

Thank you in advance!
Nazaradine
New here

Re: Audio Issues with Samson Meteor Mic since firmware update

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm

I suspect the crackling you hear is not overloading, but samples being lost in the interface connection. A louder signal will tend to mask that kind of data loss more effectively.

Which would imply your firmware 'fix' has actually messed up the USB connection in some way.

I would get in touch with Samson to confirm the correct firmware for your specific mic, and a way to install it.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Nazaradine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I suspect the crackling you hear is not overloading, but samples being lost in the interface connection. A louder signal will tend to mask that kind of data loss more effectively.

Which would imply your firmware 'fix' has actually messed up the USB connection in some way.

I would get in touch with Samson to confirm the correct firmware for your specific mic, and a way to install it.

H

Thanks Hugh - yes, that makes sense. The firmware 'fix' is new - it was published on 20th Jan 2020 - and it does't look like there is anything more recent. So I guess if I unistall the mic from device manager it will revert to the previous generic windows mic setting?
Nazaradine
New here

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Which firmware fix? Samson seems to only provide one that's for re-installing the original firmware if the mic has lost it.

https://samsontech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... or-Windows
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Nazaradine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Wonks wrote:Which firmware fix? Samson seems to only provide one that's for re-installing the original firmware if the mic has lost it.

https://samsontech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... or-Windows

Hi there - thank you for the response. Yes, that's the one. Since my original post I have uninstalled the drivers via device manager and reinstalled them but this hasn't fixed the issue.
Nazaradine
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Check your buffer size. Too small and you will get crackles.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Nazaradine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:35 pm

The Elf wrote:Check your buffer size. Too small and you will get crackles.

Hi there and thank you - I have no idea how to do this! Would you mind explaining (obviously bearing in mind my setup) and what the ideal setting is please?

Thank you!

EDIT - also note that i have never changed this, so unless the firmware update means that this value will have changed/needs to be changed I am not sure why this would suddenly become an issue - but that's why I am here :D
Nazaradine
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:30 pm

Nazaradine wrote:
Hi there and thank you - I have no idea how to do this!
I've tried looking for the information on Samson's web site, but I can't see a thing. Maybe it's something that's fixed and can't be accessed.

In which case... as you were, Sorry.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Nazaradine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:02 pm

The Elf wrote:
Nazaradine wrote:
I've tried looking for the information on Samson's web site, but I can't see a thing. Maybe it's something that's fixed and can't be accessed.

No worries! You can change the buffer settings in Audacity. It's currently set as the default (100ms)
Nazaradine
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Nazaradine wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Nazaradine wrote:

No worries! You can change the buffer settings in Audacity. It's currently set as the default (100ms)
Try doubling that and see what happens - then double it again. See if the crackles stop.
The Elf
Jedi Poster