You are here

DB15 / DA15 pin assignment

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

DB15 / DA15 pin assignment

Postby jodaki » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Quick question:

TC Electronics Clarity M Stereo manual says the AES connector is a DB15. Wikipedia says a connector of that width is actually as a DA15, and I bought a DA15 from CPC farnell to connect this device.

Not sure if that is relevant but it might be.

Thing is I have found 2 conflicting examples of the pin assignment in a DA15 connector.

One of them numbers the top row 1-8 from the LEFT and continues 9-15 on the bottom row from the LEFT

The other diagram starts the top row from the right.

I need to find pins 4 and 11.

Which scheme is correct please? J
jodaki
Regular

Re: DB15 / DA15 pin assignment

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:27 pm

jodaki wrote:TC Electronics Clarity M Stereo manual says the AES connector is a DB15. Wikipedia says a connector of that width is actually as a DA15, and I bought a DA15 from CPC farnell to connect this device.

It's probably courteously described as a typo!

The first letter refers to the D-shaped outer ring, and the second letter actually refers to the physical width of the connector (and in some cases the high-density variant of a connector).

The most common D-sub connector format used in audio gear (and computers before it) is the DB25, and so the 'DB' term has become widely used by the clueless to mean all D-sub connectors. A bit like Hoover for vacuum cleaners, and Tannoy for PA speakers...

The correct term for the specific connector used in the Clarity is a DA15.

One of them numbers the top row 1-8 from the LEFT and continues 9-15 on the bottom row from the LEFT ... The other diagram starts the top row from the right.

Well... it depends on whether you're looking at the back of a plug or a socket, doesn't it?
Or if you're looking at the front of them for that matter!

But the pin numbers are always printed on the substrate (usually on both sides), so it's trivially easy to check which way around it really is!

Pin 1 is normally top* right of the male connector when viewed from the soldering side... (or top left for the female connector -- but it's rare to need to solder up female connectors as, by convention, female connectors are normally only used on equipment.

Male connectors are always used on cables, the reason being that as pins are more easily damaged it's much easier to change a cable with a damaged male plug than to replace a male plug bolted and soldered into a piece of equipment! (There are exceptions to this usage 'rule' of course...)

* The top row is the one running along side the widest part of the D-shaped outer ring.

Here's an image of a typical female DA15 socket from the front (connecting side) showing the embossed pin numbers. Now, imagine a male plug inserted into it, so pin 1 will also be top right when viewed from the wiring side.

I need to find pins 4 and 11.

They're near the middle... on different rows :lol: Four pins in from the right at the top (signal) and three pins in from the right on the bottom (screen).

...But if you counted the wrong way and ended up using pins 5 and 13, you'd simply have your input signal appearing as S/PDIF 2 instead of S/PDIF 1.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: DB15 / DA15 pin assignment

Postby jodaki » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Aha.. I looked at the new connector before posting but couldnt see anything (thats with my glasses on under a 300w photo light). After your post I re-examined it with the addition of a magnifying glass and very very faintly the numbers are embossed. The TC connector has em written clear as day. Ill my microscope out next time. Thanks Hugh..
jodaki
Regular