You are here

XLR Y splitter

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: XLR Y splitter

Postby paulears » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:58 pm

There's another interesting use for combining mics. I was doing a live show where the lead singer was right in front of the kit, and we were recording the gig for them too - M32 and a MacBook - nice and simple. The spill into the lead vocal was simply awful. I had read of an old technique and decided to give it a go. I put two 58s on a stereo bar onto the boom stand and combined them with a reverse cable to one of them. He sang into one of them, but the two cancelled out brilliantly, removing almost all the rubbish from the kit. Needed a bit of EQ as it sounded a bit hollow - but it's a trick to store away for emergencies.
paulears
Poster
http://www.earsmedia.co.uk

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 pm

That's definitely getting filed away for future reference. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Nice thinking! :thumbup: A variation on the noise-cancelling mic theme.: Two mics close together so that they both capture similar ambient noise, but arranged such that only one picks up the wanted voice (at a relatively high level). Combine in opposite polarities to reduce the ambient noise.

I've never done it on stage to remove drum spill before, but its not a bad idea. I have done it for a TV presenter doing a piece to camera in a helicopter with two lavalier mics spaced a couple of inches apart, with one almost right on his lips. Worked brilliantly.

Commercial noise-cancelling mics work in a similar way.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Would the 2nd cable physically be wired in "reverse" or would the phase be reversed on the mixer?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Would the 2nd cable physically be wired in "reverse" or would the phase be reversed on the mixer?

It appears the poster used a polarity-reversed cable, so presume he also wired the two mics into a passive combiner on stage before feeding into a single desk channel.

In general, though -- assuming the channels are available -- it's technically better to feed both mics into the desk separately and use the polarity invert button on the second channel.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous