You are here

Audeze EL-8 for mixing ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audeze EL-8 for mixing ?

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:56 pm

For a number of reasons in the last months I found myself using headphones more than monitors - especially mixing in different studios. And while I know my DT990 pro inside out and can turn a good mix out of them, I'm thinking of upping the game a little, and the thought went immediately to the Audeze LCD-X. The goals is not so much to mix better or different, but rather faster - getting to "the" sound I have in my head quicker and with less need of checking on monitors and adjusting thereafter.

The LCD-X are , of course, quite a lot of dosh :)

Now, I have an opportunity of getting a pair of (used) EL-8 at about half price. Being cheaper than the -X to start with, it comes out as quite a good bargain if I can get the improvement I'm seeking.

I have, of course, read Sam's combined review about both ( at https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/audeze-lcd-x-el8) but while it comes out crystal clear that then LCD-X are Just The Right Thing, I don't get the same clarity of judgement about the EL-8.

Yeah, I gather they are a little less open and less "transparent" but I wouldn't use them for listening to music in general terms, but rather for taking mixing decisions. In that sense, would they be a substantial improvement over the more mundane 990s? Or are they so inferior to the X that it's worth saving for them? Anyone's tried them in anger?

(Sam, of course your opinion is very valued :))
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Audeze EL-8 for mixing ?

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:07 pm

I personally didn't like the El8's, the bass extension wasn't there that I wanted and the imaging didn't feel right on the closed backs I used.

That said I went up to the LCD 2's to fix both concerns, but they are obviously open backed although you don't say if the EL8's you've been offered are the open or closed editions. The LCD's are also a bit more laid back in comparison to the larger models, meaning they tend to be less fatiguing over longer sessions, but don't have quite the same level of transient detail I would expect of the LCD-X.

On the lower end of the range I prefer the 1's that replaced the EL series, but it's certainly a narrower soundstage, although probably expected from the driver size and being closed back.

Y.M.M.V book an audition where you can.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Thank you - they are the open backed version.

The challenge of an audition is that I don't care about the sound itself (I don't actually have any specific preference on sound), I care only for them as a mixing tool and in order to evaluate that one has to use the cans for a relatively long time, in that context.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:47 pm

I mix a lot of Hip Hop and EDM and the low end referencing on the Audeze lCD-X is one of the best I have come across. I am also using a Stax system here but prefer the X for overall referencing. I cannot comment on the others as I haven't tried them.
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Zukan wrote:I mix a lot of Hip Hop and EDM and the low end referencing on the Audeze lCD-X is one of the best I have come across. I am also using a Stax system here but prefer the X for overall referencing. I cannot comment on the others as I haven't tried them.

Thansk! Yeah I understand the LCD-X are good, unfortunately it's the EL-8 that I can get cheap :D
CS70
Jedi Poster