You are here

LPD8 only as shortcut for Logic X

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

LPD8 only as shortcut for Logic X

Postby erikpost » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi! I have an AKAI LPD8 I want to use only as shortcut buttons for Logic X (fade in tool/velocity tool/join midi/ etc), and got it to function. But now it also triggers the vst I have opened in a trackm, and sometimes misfires as a shortcut-button. Is there a way to only assign the LPD8 as shortcut trigger, and disable it's instrument controller abilities? Thanks a heap for the help!

Best
Erik

The Netherlands
erikpost
Poster

Re: LPD8 only as shortcut for Logic X

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 pm

It depends how you've done this. In general, if you've mapped it using Logic's controller assignments, then Logic "steals" that assigned MIDI message and it never reaches the sequencer, so it can't interfere with other things.

If it "misfires" you've probably got a poor MIDI assignment, for example you've only mapped the assignment to respond over a limited range of CC values or note velocities. Without knowing what your assignments are, it's impossible to tell, but begin by examining your assignments in the controller assignments window. If you're not sure, make some screenshots of your assignments and we might be able to advise further.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby erikpost » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Hey! Thanks for the quick response. I mapped it with controller assignments, and I'll try to post a screenshot soon!
erikpost
Poster

Postby erikpost » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 am

erikpost
Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Ok, in that instance, any C1 note on MICI channel 3 will trigger that command, including note-offs (velocity of 0).

So when you play a note, you'll be triggering the command twice, which is not so good.

I'd recommend ignoring note offs at least, so double click the assignment to open it in the controller assignments window, and change the min/max from 0 to 127 to say 1 to 127 - then at least note offs will no longer trigger the command so it won't be triggered twice each time you play a note.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby erikpost » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Hey! This works like a charm! Thanks!!!

Next question: now I want to assign one of the knobs to control panning on selected track, but I can't seem to find the way to assign it. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
erikpost
Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 pm

erikpost wrote:Next question: now I want to assign one of the knobs to control panning on selected track, but I can't seem to find the way to assign it. Any ideas?

Command L to enter learn mode. Twiddle pan knob in the mixer. Twiddle MIDI knob to learn that MIDI command to it. Leave learn mode.

You're learned assignment should be targeting the pan control on the Selected Channel, but if not, change the assignment to selected channel. Now, whatever track you select, that knob will change the pan on that channel.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby erikpost » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 am

Thanks for the quick response! The only thing is that logic doesn't seem to recognize the twiddling of the knob of the LPD-8. What am I doing wrong...?
erikpost
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 am

erikpost wrote:Thanks for the quick response! The only thing is that logic doesn't seem to recognize the twiddling of the knob of the LPD-8. What am I doing wrong...?

Is the knob sending MIDI? What message is it sending?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby erikpost » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 am

Shoot, I don't know. Apparantly it's not sending midi...

https://imgur.com/a/IysFISb
erikpost
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:33 am

erikpost wrote:Shoot, I don't know. Apparantly it's not sending midi...

Well, if a control is local only to a device, and doesn't send MIDI, you can't use it for anything other than what's it's designed for.

Edit: Is it one of the knobs on the right? They are set to send CC#0-CC#7...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby erikpost » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:48 am

Yes, it's one of the knobs on the right. I can't imagine it can't send midi, but maybe I'm wrong.
erikpost
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 am

erikpost wrote:Yes, it's one of the knobs on the right. I can't imagine it can't send midi, but maybe I'm wrong.

No, it's a controller, it's entire purpose is to send MIDI... :thumbup:

(I only wrote that before I looked at what device you were using. It's not uncommon for people to think any knob on any old bit of gear can be used as a MIDI controller, so...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby erikpost » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:17 am

Ah, cool! So, any idea that I am doing wrong. You would think it should work, maybe I should change anything about what cc it sends?
erikpost
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:21 am

erikpost wrote:Ah, cool! So, any idea that I am doing wrong. You would think it should work, maybe I should change anything about what cc it sends?

Is the device installed as a control surface in Logic already? (So it already may have assignments you are competing with?)
Is it actually sending MIDI (verify with Snoiz's MIDI monitor or MIDIpipe, or some other MIDI tool).
Does the behaviour with regard to learning problems change if you set that knob to a different CC value?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Next