You are here

Reverb pedals?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Reverb pedals?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:16 am

Just looking at a couple of reverb pedals for my Grandmother synth, I used to have an Eventide Space, and it worked well with synths, but I never got on with it from an operational point of view, so now I’m looking at the Empress reverb.
Just wondering if anyone here has tried one of these? It looks a lot more straightforward to use than the Space, and it sounds amazing from the demo's.
I already have a Strymon Big Sky, and don’t want to risk going over the same territory.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Reverb pedals?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 am

Not familiar with the pedals you mention but on a recent dabble into the world of synths and trying to find reverb pedals to use I came to two conclusions: I really liked the TC Electronic Hall of Fame as a clean high quality reverb BUT I really enjoyed what the Boss RE20 Space Echo did to a number of pad type patches. Its spring reverb emulation is nothing to write home about, but combined with the tape echo simulation, you quickly delve into the world of esoteric ecstasy.

Just made patches sound three dimensional and larger than life.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:10 am

I have a Hall Of Fame mini and the Tone Print feature makes it much more versatile than you typical guitar pedal. I am a fan of TC reverbs though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jaminem » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:33 pm

The Empress looks very similar to what the Blue Sky is giving you, so if you're after more of the same (if you're running synths concurrently for example) then go for it, it gets a loads of props. If you're looking for a different flavour then its probably not the right thing. In that case I'd be looking at some of the more creative stuff, from the more experimental manufacturers - Old Blood Noise Endeavours, Earthqucker devices, Death by Audio or even Catalinbread...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:51 pm

i havnt used the reverbs you mention apart from the blue sky one (which i love)...

its maybe a bit overkill but i really like the reverbs on my line 6 hx effects...last time i checked it was around the £400 mark and i would play that alone for the reverbs and delays in it , in fact id pay that from just the delays..its has mono and stereo versions of the reverbs. also it has all the legacy ones they have released over the years...

i love mine...its been a mainstay in my gigging board i also use it with my synth at home...

the HX Effects’ input can be switched to a lower sensitivity, making it suitable for use with electronic keyboards and line‑level sources
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:01 pm

My personal favourites, in order of preference (albeit on guitars & guitar synth)...

1) Neunaber Immerse Mk2: https://www.andertons.co.uk/neunaber-im ... k-ii-pedal
2) TC Hall of Fame 2 (with Mash button): https://www.andertons.co.uk/tc-electron ... verb-pedal

Both stray towards Strymon territory at times though, so maybe not really what you're looking for?

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby al_diablo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm

Thinking of something different to your current setup - the Keeley Hooke Reverb is great on guitar but havent tried it on synths yet. Switchable spring / plate / spring and plate / trem & reverb / vibrato and reverb. Theres a switch to make it sound vintage (darker) too

It also has a mode called fugue that does a weird pitch shifting organ thing that is fun for a few min but I've never found a use for.

Cheaper than some of your other possibilities- maybe worth a look?
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 am

Thanks folks, I had an "Immerse" and didn’t like it much.
I’ll check out Old Blood Noise, they do sound interesting.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rggillespie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:37 am

I did have an Old Blood Noise Rever pedal, it was very distinctive but I didn't find it very versatile, so it went back. I'd try one first before committing to buying one. The one I really like that I found much more versatile is the Earthquaker Avalanche Run, that's an very inspiring pedal. Maybe worth looking into, but perhaps bear in mind, it's really a delay pedal with reverb. Its stereo and you can add an expression pedal so plenty of options.
rggillespie
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:43 am

rggillespie wrote:I did have an Old Blood Noise Rever pedal, it was very distinctive but I didn't find it very versatile, so it went back. I'd try one first before committing to buying one. The one I really like that I found much more versatile is the Earthquaker Avalanche Run, that's an very inspiring pedal. Maybe worth looking into, but perhaps bear in mind, it's really a delay pedal with reverb. Its stereo and you can add an expression pedal so plenty of options.

Thanks, I’ve ordered the OBN Minim, I’m just looking for an edge to ad to my Grandmother synth, I’ve got a few other pedals, and I’m looking to not duplicate anything.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:19 pm

I’ve been searching too. I want a stereo pedal. I want character with a touch of something extra. I have enough good verbs in my DAW.
Red Panda has an interesting one that should be out soon. There was a good demo video online from when they presented it at NAMM. I’ll go search for the name ——
Here - https://www.redpandalab.com/products/context
There are a number of YouTube vids.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:29 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I’ve been searching too. I want a stereo pedal. I want character with a touch of something extra. I have enough good verbs in my DAW.
Red Panda has an interesting one that should be out soon. There was a good demo video online from when they presented it at NAMM. I’ll go search for the name ——
Here - https://www.redpandalab.com/products/context
There are a number of YouTube vids.

Looks good, depends what you want I suppose, my two faves are still the Eventide Space, which has a switchable line input, and the Strymon Big Sky, which has some really beautiful unusual things, like the Choral effect.
Chase Bliss have some very nice things, the Thermae is wonderful, check it out.
This area of the market is actually becoming quite crowded.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)