You are here

Recording a two-headed drum

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording a two-headed drum

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:03 pm

and where/how do you accomplish this time alignment? move the waveform in the DAW according to the grid, or plugins?

What phase issues may arise?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Watchmaker wrote:and where/how do you accomplish this time alignment? move the waveform in the DAW according to the grid, or plugins?
A doddle in most DAWs I would have thought. It's a usually a case of dragging the audio 'part' around. It's certainly a doddle in the DAWs I use - I go into numerical sample edit (rather than bars/beats) in Cubase, to let me get very precise. Grid snapping most definitely needs to be switched off. The shift of a single sample in either direction can make a huge tonal difference.

You could use a plug-in, but... more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

Watchmaker wrote:What phase issues may arise?
One of the objectives of time-slipping the audio is to avoid phase problems. Just use your ears!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby awjoe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:59 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It really depends on what you are using as the 'main' sound source.

For orchestral recordings, the stereo pair is usually the main sound source, and you want any accent mics to provide subtle focus rather than dominate the sound. Because the main pair is inherently further away than the close accent mics the latter need to be time-aligned... but actually pushing them back further to be a few miliseconds late (typically around 5ms -- the exact value is not critical) means that the ear latches on to the main pair's sound as the important thing, and the close mics then no longer distract or dominate, but still add the sought-after clartity.

On the other hand, if you want the close accent mics to provide the dominate sound, with the stereo pair as a room mic to add space, you generally want the stereo pair to be a little later than the close mics -- which it would be naturally anyway because of its distant position.

I don't have any drum recordings yet, but I played with this using a recording I made with my trusty Zoom H6. In addition to close mics, I had the mid/side mic recording as well so I can mix some room sound in. By dragging that room sound track either way, it changes the sound significantly. Thanks for the idea!
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:22 pm

:thumbup: :ugeek:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous