You are here

Lexicon support for MX range of fx processors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Lexicon support for MX range of fx processors

Postby Moroccomoose » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:18 am

Hi folks,

I use an MX400 fx processors in my setup. It is controlled by vst within the DAW, which is in theory, brilliant. However the vst is 32bit so I have to Jbridge it into Cubade 10. I am suspicious that this is giving me stability problems (occasional BSOD wdf violation)... anyway, have contacted Lexicon, requesting a 64bit update to vst, to which their response is 'This product is end of life and no longer supported'. I have responded with my disappointment given that the product still features on their website and is still very much for sale.

I am therefore asking if those in the SOS collective who also use a Lexicon MX range FX processor to put in a similar request so that it might get some traction.

At the same time, I am going to attempt to make a cubase MIDI panel for it. I think I'm okay with basic cc controllers, but struggle a bit when it comes to things like patch banks. Is anyone interested in a collaborative effort to make such a panel?

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Re: Lexicon support for MX range of fx processors

Postby jimjazzdad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Lexicon is under the Harman/Samsung aegis... good luck getting support for an older product!
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Yeah I know. It's very frustrating though. After their first response, they are no longer answering my emails.

I guess I'll have to have a go at making a controller panel in cubase then!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:Hi folks,

I use an MX400 fx processors in my setup. It is controlled by vst within the DAW, which is in theory, brilliant. However the vst is 32bit so I have to Jbridge it into Cubade 10. I am suspicious that this is giving me stability problems (occasional BSOD wdf violation)...

Couple things you can try:

1) If you install Cakewalk (for free from Bandlab), the bitbridge built-in into the software is absolutely rock-solid. I still use 32 bit effects which I love and have done it daily for years, and have experienced zero problems related to it.

Actually I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD since installing Windows 10 a couple years back). If you work a little in CW and you no longer experience issues, it's more likely you are correct and it's indeed jbridge.

2) However, it's a big possibility that the BSODs are due to the interface driver making wrong assumptions rather than jbridge. All applicative software (be it the DAW or other audio processing apps like a word length converter) relies on drivers being correct - and often it's the software that gets the blame when it's actually the drivers which are buggy.

Which interface do you use? Are there new drivers?

For a short time I was using my eleven rack as an interface, and BSODs were fairly frequent due to the poor quality of the drivers. After switching to an RME interface and its driver - zero problems since.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm using a Profire2626. The latest driver is windows 8 IIRC. It's a firewire interface and I'm careful to ensure I have the Texas Instruments driver. In truth, I had not ruled out the Profire as the problem. Shame it'll be a little while before a similar USB interface will be cheap enough on ebay, so I'm stuck with it.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm

Oh well, then I'd definitely look into trying a different, more modern interface with good and up to date drivers. Had to bet my money, I would definitely put it on the interface (drivers) rather than whatever bitbridge you're using.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:56 pm

CS70 wrote:1) If you install Cakewalk (for free from Bandlab), the bitbridge built-in into the software is absolutely rock-solid. I still use 32 bit effects which I love and have done it daily for years, and have experienced zero problems related to it.

The same goes for the bridging software in Reaper too - no worries about using 32 bit plugins here.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:36 pm

the 2626 is a bit long in the tooth...
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:43 pm

It's quite old... Drivers aside, it's perfectly functional... I have loads of kit WAY older. I do wish it was possible to keep this stuff running for longer, whether its MS or equipment vendors keeping interfaces compatible.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Just on that last point, I saw this today on a proposed EU 'Right to Repair' law: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200 ... ment.shtml
The devil will be in the detail of course, but something has to change surely.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...