You are here

Mic for violin

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Mic for violin

Postby John Willett » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 am

zenguitar wrote: I will ask Hugh nicely to identify the correct connector so I can knock up a short adaptor lead and spare and finally put a lovely ribbon mic to good use.

Very nice - :mrgreen:

The connector is a Tuchel (screw-lock DIN).

They are also made by Binder and sold by Canford Audio (which is where I get mine).

THIS is the link.

John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:23 am

I'm the proud owner of a Beyer m260n which I found in a Cash Converter (I won't say how much, it'll upset you) and got a Tuchel/XLR adaptor off eBay for £10 (damn, doubled the price).

My preamps are less than boutique so I added a MartAudio booster on the recs of SOS. This fulfils three requirements:

- Boosts the signal (duh!)
- Isolates the mic from phantom power
- As it's on the end of the adaptor it helps soak up any minor physical vibration along the cable.

Viola!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am

That particular adapter is a bit odd... why would you not make it long enough to at least put the XLR on the floor rather than dangling a few inches from the mic?

But it was just a quick search to demonstrate the general availability...

Personally, I'd specify a 5m cable (probably in an unusual colour or with coloured sleeves just to make it easy to identify it) so I could use it without needing to extend it all the time! I'm sure that particular supplier -- or any of the many others you can find on line -- could construct one to whatever length you wanted.

Then again, soldering up a mic cable is well within your abilities.

You can get compatible 3-pin cable sockets here:

https://cpc.farnell.com/lumberg/kv30/socket-din-straight-3-pin/dp/CN16857
https://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/kv30/socket-din-straight-3way/dp/1321485

or here (for twice the price!):

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/8710 ... CKET-3-pin
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks John & Hugh. :thumbup:

I had already decided to use a different colour cable to identify the cable easily. And yes, I shall be wielding a soldering iron to make the cables myself.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm

Make two, if you only have one it'll hide in the back of a drawer every time you want to use it :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm

Don't worry Sam, I did say I was going to knock up a cable and a spare. ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 pm

:D I never doubted you Andy....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:That particular adapter is a bit odd... why would you not make it long enough to at least put the XLR on the floor rather than dangling a few inches from the mic?

So it can live in the mic case until needed, at which time it can be popped on the end of any mic lead. With my filing system, based on random number generation and a prayer this is a basic precaution.

Also, I know where my MartiAudio booster is.

Also, I have switching XLRs on my recording mics so I can bring up my monitors without feedback. If the adaptor went to the floor I'd be scrambling round on my knees half the time.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 pm

I've accumulated quite a few DIN to XLR cables over the years. I like the DIN connectors in some respects but they are prone to falling to bits!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby crigenjazz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your detailed responses!
It seems the Beyer M260 is a good bet as it has come up several times in your responses. :-)
Also, the Golden Age Project R1 sounds really interesting :-)

The Beyer M260 is a bit above what I was planning to spend, especially as the Russian Rm BIV mic sells for around £130-40.

Oh, just to complicate matters, I also hear the the Apex 205/210 is a great ribbon mic for the price of £150 approx. Any experience with this?

Thanks again and sorry for the sluggish response,

Cheers

Chris
crigenjazz
New here
Chris J

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 pm

crigenjazz wrote:... I had thought about was instead of the ribbon mic, getting a condenser mic like the RØDE NT1-A package and use this for both violin and the occasional vocals. Any thoughts on this and how it might compare with the Golden Age mic and the Beyer M260?

While I can appreciate the desire for a multifunctional mic, I doubt the NT1a would work well with the violin. It has a slightly pronounced upper-mid and high-end. It's not as strong as many LDCs, but it is there, and that emphasis and the HF diaphragm resonances might tend to make the violin sound scratchy and even piercing, rather than mellow and sonorous.

Personally, I'd still recommend pursuing a ribbon for that role -- and there's nothing stopping you from using a ribbon for occasional vocals (as long as you employ a decent windshield). The Golden Age gets very good reviews...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:43 pm

crigenjazz wrote:Thanks everyone for your detailed responses!
It seems the Beyer M260 is a good bet as it has come up several times in your responses. :-)
Also, the Golden Age Project R1 sounds really interesting :-)

The Beyer M260 is a bit above what I was planning to spend, especially as the Russian Rm BIV mic sells for around £130-40.

Oh, just to complicate matters, I also hear the the Apex 205/210 is a great ribbon mic for the price of £150 approx. Any experience with this?

Thanks again and sorry for the sluggish response,

Cheers

Chris

This may be stating the obvious but have you considered a condenser mic? Probably most people would be using a condenser rather than a ribbon. Ribbons have not been superior to condensers - in more than one respect - since the 1920's...
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:15 am

Tim Gillett wrote:Ribbons have not been superior to condensers - in more than one respect - since the 1920's...

That's a rather odd statement!

I can recall countless occasions when ribbons have delivered -- subjectively and sometimes even technically -- superior results to condensers.

And if we're going down the 'superiority' road, some condensers are very obviously 'superior' to others, so where's the benchmark to be?
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:Ribbons have not been superior to condensers - in more than one respect - since the 1920's...

That's a rather odd statement!

I can recall countless occasions when ribbons have delivered -- subjectively and sometimes even technically -- superior results to condensers.

Subjectively is perhaps a can of worms but technically superior? Can anyone cite some examples?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:32 am

Tim Gillett wrote:Subjectively is a can of worms but technically superior? Can anyone cite some examples?

All (passive) ribbons inherently have lower self-noise than all condenser mics for starters (no amplifier self noise).

The resonance of ribbon diaphragms is normally well below the audible frequency range whereas condenser mic diaphragm resonances are generally just within the top end of the audible range -- particularly for LDCs.

Ribbon mics have a greater dynamic range capability than capacitor mics (no internal amp to clip).

Ribbons introduce much lower phase shifts than condenser mics (no bandwidth-limited electronics adding to the mechanical response limitations).

How's that lot for an opener? :think: :ugeek:

Of course, condenser mics can be technically superior to ribbons in a few aspects, such as potentially having a more extended HF response -- although not always -- and a higher output level (if that's appropriate). And it's easier to provide a greater versatility of polar pattern options using a condenser capsule...
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext