You are here

Mic for violin

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Mic for violin

Postby crigenjazz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Thanks for your points.

Re: headphones I have decided to go for some AKG K702s which hopefully should arrive in the next few days if my birthday wishes have been granted! They are open-back I think which I understand is best for mixing. When I will track, I can use some other more basic headphones. (I think that makes sense!)

Re: mics I'm still undecided. The Apex 205 or 210 and the Golden Age R1 mkII look good. If anyone has some thoughts between the two, always glad to know!

Thanks again!
crigenjazz
New here
Chris J

Postby John Willett » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 pm

crigenjazz wrote:Re: headphones I have decided to go for some AKG K702s which hopefully should arrive in the next few days

They will probably sound quite nasty when new - these headphones need, I am told, a very long burn-in time - but do sound very good when fully burned in. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:13 pm

I think 'sounds nasty' is over-egging it rather a lot. For most users they will sound perfectly fine straight from the box.

However, these headphones are quite well known for the sound evolving a little over the first days of use to arrive at a more polished, balanced sound. It's not night and day, but it is noticeable.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Is there any hard evidence for this claim?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby crigenjazz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm

I am not massively experienced in audio technology but I too like Tim Gillett was wondering how could a piece of technology made of metals and plastic evolve over time that much?
I generally hear of burn-in in relation to us (flexible and everchanging) humans and say, headphones...

Just re: those two mics, here is a link to my original mic that I was interested in:
Rm-BIV
http://www.bashaudio.ru/rmbiv1.eng.html

If anyone has the time or desire to give any feedback, I would be much appreciative! :-)

Thanks all and stay safe!

Chris
crigenjazz
New here
Chris J

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:03 pm

John Willett wrote:
crigenjazz wrote:Re: headphones I have decided to go for some AKG K702s which hopefully should arrive in the next few days

They will probably sound quite nasty when new - these headphones need, I am told, a very long burn-in time - but do sound very good when fully burned in. :thumbup:

Nasty, no, but I found a couple of days leaving music playing through them did make a worthwhile improvement. It's worth doing. They're remarkably cheap right now for the quality of them, I think.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby crigenjazz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks ConcertinaChap,

That's useful and good to know.

Thanks

Chris
crigenjazz
New here
Chris J

Previous