You are here

How important is the design of a studio fixture?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How important is the design of a studio fixture?

Postby Telegraph Audio » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:31 pm

How important is the design of a studio fixture? What color have you always wanted the device in your studio? Image
Telegraph Audio
New here
Telegraph Audio. We shape the music.

Re: How important is the design of a studio fixture?

Postby MOF » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Black has tended to be the default choice dictated by the manufacturers, followed by aluminium.
That’s why it was nice to buy a ‘Nord Modular’ rack in red and an ‘ISA two’ in blue, yellow and white.
My grey acoustic tiles were the only colour available at the time in that size, I would have preferred purple.
My Emagic (bought out by Apple, they make Logic X) midi interface is blue and I like the yellow cone surrounds of the KRK monitors.
I made my own rack-mount cabinets and painted them in light green.
About twenty years ago Bob Clearmountain was in Nottingham at Square Dance studios promoting his Apogee interfaces, they had metallic purple coloured metal parts and I said that it made them more desirable. I think he was a little surprised at my comment but given that the technical quality was as good, if not better than other interfaces, I would say that subliminally it could have easily swayed people’s purchasing decisions.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:32 pm

very. Assuming by the pic you mean hardware, one often overlooked design element is lighting. Blue LEDs are death in my studio. I will not buy something with them if I know ahead there's one in there. Also, I hate illuminated logos. I know what I bought and want marketing out of my studio. I also dislike garish colors. I want what's inside, the exterior should be logically laid out and unobtrusive
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I want controls that you can see easily - and preferably feel if you are working in a dark corner at a gig. That's how pro audio gear used to be designed before people valued looks over function.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page