You are here

Connectors or leads for iPad etc

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Connectors or leads for iPad etc

Postby Ariosto » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am

My wife is going to have to teach piano over the internet due to the music school closing.

I would like to attach a good mic to her phone or preferably to her iPad. It has to go from male XLR to TRRS as these toys only have the TRRS four section connector. I can't find male XLR to TRRS leads anywhere. Anyone know of a source? I will probably use a dynamic mic (Beyer M201) to avoid the need for phantom power.

I was also wondering about outputting from my DAV BG1 or even MixPre 3 (original version) but I would need a similar lead but female XLR to TRRS?

Any ideas? Thanks.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Re: Connectors or leads for iPad etc

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am

Ariosto wrote:My wife is going to have to teach piano over the internet due to the music school closing.

I would like to attach a good mic to her phone or preferably to her iPad. It has to go from male XLR to TRRS as these toys only have the TRRS four section connector. I can't find male XLR to TRRS leads anywhere. Anyone know of a source? I will probably use a dynamic mic (Beyer M201) to avoid the need for phantom power.

I was also wondering about outputting from my DAV BG1 or even MixPre 3 (original version) but I would need a similar lead but female XLR to TRRS?

Any ideas? Thanks.

You could get a cheap iOS interface and go through the lightning connector via USB, into the iPad, that would give you an XLR mic input.
I’ve got a lightning to USB socket adaptor, that takes the output from any suitable interface.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ariosto » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:50 am

Many thanks - will look into that.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:58 am

You're still going to need some kind of pre-amp in there I think, so into the MixPre and then the ipad would be the best bet.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am

3.5mm unbalanced output from mixpre 3 into adapter cable for iPhone/ iPad via a 3.5-3.5 lead and adapter?

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:47 am

I would say that even a cheap compatible audio interface is a good investment for both now and the future.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:59 pm

You could also look at the iRig range as I'm fairly sure they have an XLR to TRRS adaptor which would probably be cheaper than an audio interface. However, an audio interface will be more versatile. The Zoom U-24 and U-44 were intended to be used with phones/tablets but they're now discontinued.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page