You are here

Help pulling the trigger on a new audio interface

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help pulling the trigger on a new audio interface

Postby fazfilm » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Hello everyone,
my three year-old Scarlett Solo is giving up the ghost, so I'm looking for a new interface.
I need a solid interface to record, one input is enough, it will be ONLY used to record, and the another interface to be "beaten up", with more inputs so I can reaherse with a couple of friends when needed (my PC can handle a couple of tracks with effects with an acceptable latency), travel with it, record demos and all that.

I've went through a lot of them, but decided to get the
Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen and the Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.

What do you guys think about it? Am I making a mistake? Do you have any other suggestions?
fazfilm

Re: Help pulling the trigger on a new audio interface

Postby John Willett » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:56 pm

Nº1 = RME
Nº2 = Focusrite

If you can afford an RME, buy it - and they back up their products for years, you can still get drivers for very old products. :thumbup:

The Focusrire Scarlett series are excellent value for money - very good products at an affordable price. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 am

Good choice. Fire away.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 am

I am always suspicious of the budget, single mic input interfaces.
I think they are short on quality and in many cases peeps will sooner or later curse that they did not spend that bit more for 'stereo'.

I am well known here as a big fan of the Native Instruments KA6 but there are other excellent interfaces about now from Tascam and Mackie. More expensive but virtually state of art are the new MOTUs and SSLs.

But yes, if you can afford it, go RME. You will never regret it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby fazfilm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 am

John Willett wrote:Nº1 = RME
Nº2 = Focusrite

If you can afford an RME, buy it - and they back up their products for years, you can still get drivers for very old products. :thumbup:

The Focusrire Scarlett series are excellent value for money - very good products at an affordable price. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply!
Those are my worries to, I wanted a interface of the UR line from Steinberg, but I'm scared to get an old interface like that and not receive the propor support 5 years from now.

ef37a wrote:I am always suspicious of the budget, single mic input interfaces.
I think they are short on quality and in many cases peeps will sooner or later curse that they did not spend that bit more for 'stereo'.

I am well known here as a big fan of the Native Instruments KA6 but there are other excellent interfaces about now from Tascam and Mackie. More expensive but virtually state of art are the new MOTUs and SSLs.

But yes, if you can afford it, go RME. You will never regret it.

Dave.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought of it.
Unfortunately the Motus, Audients and SSLs aren't available in my country and, while the RMEs are, they are beyond my budget.

Do you have any other suggestions?
fazfilm

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 am

I’d go for another Focusrite, or one of the new Motu's. Also look at the SSL.
RME are well built, and have good software support, but the sound isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, Focusrite are much better in this respect.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am

Arpangel wrote:RME are well built, and have good software support, but the sound isn’t all it’s cracked up to be...
:o :?:

I've never had a moment's concern over RME's audio quality. I put audio in, I get the same audio out. To what are you referring?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:RME are well built, and have good software support, but the sound isn’t all it’s cracked up to be...

I've never had a moment's concern over RME's audio quality. I put audio in, I get the same audio out. To what are you referring?

A very "edgy" sound, not natural, or transparent.
I’ve been into this before, and I know I’m out on a limb, but honestly, I just can’t get on with them. The UK agents Synthax are very supportive, nice chaps, but RME themselves were very unhelpful, and quite arrogant regarding my concerns.
RME are liked by a lot of people, that’s great, but IMO there are other interfaces out there, that are cheaper, and sound better.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:15 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

I’ve been into this before, and I know I’m out on a limb, but honestly, I just can’t get on with them. The UK agents Synthax are very supportive, nice chaps, but RME themselves were very unhelpful, and quite arrogant regarding my concerns.
Hmmm... You are definitely out on a very distant limb from where I am. So this is really your impression and opinion, not the result of qualitative testing - I don't doubt that RME would have given you short shrift!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

Hmmm... You are definitely out on a very distant limb from where I am. So this is really this your impression and opinion, not the result of qualitative testing - I don't doubt that RME would have given you short shrift!

I agree Elf. It is not that difficult or expensive to make a D/A A/D system that defies all but THE closest scrutiny and I am sure RME converters are WAY above mid level!

This is the way bad vibes start. Some years ago it was said the the Mackie Big Knob controller had a 'coloured' sound. There was never, AFAIK any objective test published and yet the "Big Knob Colour" went into the audio world's lexicon.

Please, if you can't prove it, don't say it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

Hmmm... You are definitely out on a very distant limb from where I am. So this is really your impression and opinion, not the result of qualitative testing - I don't doubt that RME would have given you short shrift!

RME need to do some work on customer relations, very smug attitude.
It’s not often I care or get uptight about things like this, but they caused me a lot of hassle, thinking it was other things in my studio making things sound bad.
But as soon as I replaced it all was fine, I got a Focusrite and it just sounded great, normal to me compared to the RME.
I just drew my own conclusions, what else can you do?
And before you ask, yes, I did swap it out for another unit, no difference.
I just dreaded using the thing, it sounded so edgy.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

RME need to do some work on customer relations, very smug attitude.
It’s not often I care or get uptight about things like this, but they caused me a lot of hassle, thinking it was other things in my studio making things sound bad.
But as soon as I replaced it all was fine, I got a Focusrite and it just sounded great, normal to me compared to the RME.
I just drew my own conclusions, what else can you do?
And before you ask, yes, I did swap it out for another unit, no difference.
I just dreaded using the thing, it sounded so edgy.

What you can DO is make a recording of the input signal to the RME and then the output signal then post both.

I am not surprised at RME's attitude, they seem to me a company based on very, very solid engineering and I am sure if they thought there was the slightest evidence for this "edgy" sound they would investigate it.

But you wait and see! The net will now be a wash with peeps shouting ME TOO!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 am

ef37a wrote:What you can DO is make a recording of the input signal to the RME and then the output signal then post both.

I am not surprised at RME's attitude, they seem to me a company based on very, very solid engineering and I am sure if they thought there was the slightest evidence for this "edgy" sound they would investigate it.

But you wait and see! The net will now be a wash with peeps shouting ME TOO!!

Dave.

I don’t have it anymore, that was a few years ago.
Again, all I can say is that I dreaded turning it on, it wasn’t only me, a couple of friends used to say "what’s up with the sound Tone!"
I did actually think it was me at one point, but I found a couple of other people who’d noticed it on the internet, and when they mentioned it on forums they were treated like heretics.
RME are very good at packaging, and PR, but what it looks and feels like, is very different from how it sounds......"IMO"
I’m not concerned about mentioning this here, after all who am I? And I’m sure RME interfaces will continue to sell in droves.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:40 am

Who you ARE Arpangel is someone who is slagging off a very, very well respected audio engineering company without a shred of objective evidence.

If anyone on the SOS strength put such words in print RME would sue their backsides off!

I have not many years ago worked for a company that had its products slated and only for TELLING people their amplifiers contained certain components. Many of their competitors used the same (not liked by the cork sniffers) components and had done for decades but did not let on. (I agree however there were some unfortunate press releases in the early days!)
If I might paraphrase...

"Careless talk cost jobs!"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

Back to the OP...
I'm still using a 1st gen focusrite 8i6 which must be at least 10 years old, possibly nearer 15. It has developed a fault on one of the output channels but driver support is still there and focusrite would definitely be on my list to consider for a replacement.
Along with RME...
*ducks for cover*
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next