You are here

Help pulling the trigger on a new audio interface

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Help pulling the trigger on a new audio interface

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:53 pm

blinddrew wrote:Back to the OP...
I'm still using a 1st gen focusrite 8i6 which must be at least 10 years old, possibly nearer 15. It has developed a fault on one of the output channels but driver support is still there and focusrite would definitely be on my list to consider for a replacement.
Along with RME...
*ducks for cover*

Yes, I have an old 8i6 I am about to press into service. I will admit I was bit wary of Focusrite for some time. The very early 2i2s had very poor instrument input headroom for instance* and that is the sort of silly, unnecessarily poor engineering mistake that annoys me (I also have a 'thing' about MIDI and think it bloody mean not to fit it on an interface at that price point). There were also driver issues on forums but then F'rtite AIs probably outsold most of all the others combined in the sub £150 bracket so, damned by their own success?

I am a champion of the KA6 of course. Sound quality is excellent (actually it sounds JUST the same as my 2496 and the 8i6!) and driver quality and stability well above anything else for the money. But the world turns and the KA6 has been challenged...Shoot! I really could not fault the Behringer 204HD I had for a time except perhaps for the wimpy output level?

*A well recognized fact at the time, not a figment of my or anyone else's imagination.
To give the company due credit the problem was fixed very quickly on the later production and I think by the time the Mll came out headroom was on a par with the competition?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby fazfilm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:58 pm

blinddrew wrote:Back to the OP...
I'm still using a 1st gen focusrite 8i6 which must be at least 10 years old, possibly nearer 15. It has developed a fault on one of the output channels but driver support is still there and focusrite would definitely be on my list to consider for a replacement.
Along with RME...
*ducks for cover*

The fault being on the output made me a bit more relaxed. As someone who only mixes in cans, the outputs aren't really my concern (stupid, I know, but living in a flat has it's downsides).

-

Anyways, I've decided to get the Komplete Audio 2 and the 6i6, any heads up from anyone?
fazfilm

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:What you can DO is make a recording of the input signal to the RME and then the output signal then post both.

I am not surprised at RME's attitude, they seem to me a company based on very, very solid engineering and I am sure if they thought there was the slightest evidence for this "edgy" sound they would investigate it.

But you wait and see! The net will now be a wash with peeps shouting ME TOO!!

Dave.

I don’t have it anymore, that was a few years ago.
Again, all I can say is that I dreaded turning it on, it wasn’t only me, a couple of friends used to say "what’s up with the sound Tone!"
I did actually think it was me at one point, but I found a couple of other people who’d noticed it on the internet, and when they mentioned it on forums they were treated like heretics.
RME are very good at packaging, and PR, but what it looks and feels like, is very different from how it sounds......"IMO"
I’m not concerned about mentioning this here, after all who am I? And I’m sure RME interfaces will continue to sell in droves.

What a load of bs...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 pm

Humble Bee wrote:What a load of bs...

You may think so, but do I still have it? no, would I buy another? no.
Simple as that.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm

I really don't want to pour more petrol on the fire, but maybe it was the set-up RME software "Totalmix" that was giving problems?
It's a little confusing (TBH in my case, VERY confusing) to sort out what's going on, and it's not always obvious what is feeding various outputs, particularly monitoring.
Just a thought.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:07 am

Kwackman wrote:I really don't want to pour more petrol on the fire, but maybe it was the set-up RME software "Totalmix" that was giving problems?
It's a little confusing (TBH in my case, VERY confusing) to sort out what's going on, and it's not always obvious what is feeding various outputs, particularly monitoring.
Just a thought.

Total Mix was the best bit! I liked it, and it was definitely not a problem, I was really miffed about the sound, and it not working out, because TM is a great tool.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rggillespie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm

I have a RME fireface 400 and its outlasted 3 pcs and performed flawlessly, so worth recommending RME for that alone. That being said, I have never got to grips with 'Totalmix', like kwackman I've found it totally beyond me. Perhaps its more suited to semi pros and professionals. Their customer service have been excellent in my occasional dealings with them, setting it up etc. Rock solid reliability and very good aftersales support are very valuable things, well worth bearing in mind when you're buying. I cant vouch on the sound quality compared to others, as RME's been all I ever known. No real complaints here though!
rggillespie
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:55 pm

rggillespie wrote:I have a RME fireface 400 and its outlasted 3 pcs and performed flawlessly, so worth recommending RME for that alone. That being said, I have never got to grips with 'Totalmix', like kwackman I've found it totally beyond me. Perhaps its more suited to semi pros and professionals. Their customer service have been excellent in my occasional dealings with them, setting it up etc. Rock solid reliability and very good aftersales support are very valuable things, well worth bearing in mind when you're buying. I cant vouch on the sound quality compared to others, as RME's been all I ever known. No real complaints here though!

I loved Total Mix, never had any problems with it.
I changed to Focusrite simply because I preferred the sound. Synthax are very good, even giving advice on use over the phone, so full marks there.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:02 pm

rggillespie wrote:I have never got to grips with 'Totalmix', like kwackman I've found it totally beyond me....
I could demystify TotalMix in 10 minutes - and I guarantee you will fall in love with it once you know what it can do for you. I never want to have to work without TotalMix!

Essentially:
Top row is physical (has an input socket somewhere) inputs.
Bottom row is physical (has an output socket somewhere) outputs.
Middle row is the outputs your computer knows about - the ones your DAW sees. These do not have a physical socket anywhere.

Click on any fader on the bottom row and what you see in the other two rows is the mix that is going there - which you can change by moving top and middle row faders. Every physical output can have its own mix!

If you can grasp these basic principles you have 50% of what you need to make TM your friend. ;)

RME have created a series of videos to help - go digest 'em!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

The Elf wrote:
rggillespie wrote:I have never got to grips with 'Totalmix', like kwackman I've found it totally beyond me....
I could demystify TotalMix in 10 minutes - and I guarantee you will fall in love with it once you know what it can do for you. I never want to have to work without TotalMix!

Essentially:
Top row is physical (has an input socket somewhere) inputs.
Bottom row is physical (has an output socket somewhere) outputs.
Middle row is the outputs your computer knows about - the ones your DAW sees. These do not have a physical socket anywhere.

Click on any fader on the bottom row and what you see in the other two rows is the mix that is going there - which you can change by moving top and middle row faders. Every physical output can have its own mix!

If you can grasp these basic principles you have 50% of what you need to make TM your friend. ;)

RME have created a series of videos to help - go digest 'em!

These videos are very helpful, and they got me started in no time.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rggillespie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks for this heads up, with all this time on my hands I shall investigate asap. I'm using the time to read various manuals and really get to know my kit and what it can. Quite an eye opener and there cant be a better time than now!
rggillespie
Poster

Previous