You are here

AntMix mixers?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

AntMix mixers?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 am

I’m looking for a small mixer for the basement studio, to augment my portastudio, I need 4 mono inputs, and four stereo, plus two aux sends, one pre, and one post, plus a sub or alt out.
Regardless of price, this spec is a bit difficult to find, I’ve found this AntMix 12fx, that ticks all the boxes, but I’ve never heard of AntMix, just found them on the Bax site, anyone know anything about them? are they any good?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: AntMix mixers?

Postby fatbenelton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 am

Mackie 1202vlz4 seems to do everything you want.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster

Jonny

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:37 am

+1 :thumbup:

I've had three or four Mackie 1202s over the years, I still have a battered old 1202VLZ and they just get the job done with no fuss. IIRC Mackie's mic pre's were well regarded in the mic preamp shootout though I think you will only use the line inputs?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am

Sam Spoons wrote:+1 :thumbup:

I've had three or four Mackie 1202s over the years, I still have a battered old 1202VLZ and they just get the job done with no fuss. IIRC Mackie's mic pre's were well regarded in the mic preamp shootout though I think you will only use the line inputs?

I have one of these already! It’s in the piano room though.
I use it for mixing my Reface, and iPad, plus one effect, and for extra mic inputs if I need them, but what I don’t like about the 1202 is that annoying thing regarding the alt out, it stops you accessing the aux sends, which can be very frustrating sometimes.
That’s why I’m not considering it for the basement, where it would really be earning its keep with effects duties.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am

Hmmm...

Just tried their website. Poor use of English and running abominably slow.

I suspect they're one of countless Chinese companies offering variations on a standard mixer circuit or a new Euro-company that's done a deal with a Chinese manufacturer.

I'd view with caution.

Stick with tried and trusted... as well as Mackie, I've used/owned little mixers from Allen&Heath, Yamaha and Soundcraft. All were excellent. Even my more recent little Behringers (that's not a euphemism :D ) stood me in good stead.

OTOH I've had some 'no brand' Chinese-derived mixers that were definitely not suitable for anything but the bedroom-disco boys and girls.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:42 am

Mackie 1642 ?

I have one - excellent - but I never actually used it as I do everything on teh Nagra VI and DAW.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Zoom LiveTrak?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:59 pm

Yamaha MGP12x, or 16x?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:22 pm

This is all related to my post about effects pedals, and now I’ve got the patch bay sorted out my mixer needs are simpler. Now I can just get a Soundcraft Mix Pad, or similar, that’ll probably be all I need.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm

iirc the ANT range is RCF's lowest end line.

and if you look at their catalogue, https://www.ant-intomusic.com/files/imm ... 21-web.pdf , you will see that they are part of A.E.B. Industrial srl which is the parent company for RCF and DB Technologies.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am

DGL. wrote:iirc the ANT range is RCF's lowest end line.

and if you look at their catalogue, https://www.ant-intomusic.com/files/imm ... 21-web.pdf , you will see that they are part of A.E.B. Industrial srl which is the parent company for RCF and DB Technologies.

RCF aren’t bad, but I’ve decided to get a Yamaha MG10XU, that’ll be more than good enough.
Although the Ant has a lot of good features, switchable pre/post aux sends, a sub group, and is the same price as the Yamaha, it’s not an easy choice,
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm

Changed my mind at the last minute, I’m getting the AntMix 12FX, I’m not going to here any sonic differences in these mixers at this price point, so why not get the one that has the most useful facilities, the Ant has a sub that I can use as an FX send, plus it has effects too, switchable pre/post aux's, and more input channels than the Yamaha, same price though.
It’s also got a rotary effect! YYYEEEAAHHHH!!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)