You are here

Selecting a groove box/drum/sampler

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Selecting a groove box/drum/sampler

Postby Deadstar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

Hello,

Don't know if I came to the right place for this but I will give it a try.

I used to play guitar in several bands, but due to medical conditions I had to stop playing with other musicians/friends because I could not keep up. Since a couple of years I want to play with music and sounds again, but only as a hobby on my attic.

DAW does not seem to do the thing for me. Maybe it is my lack of creativity or something else, I don't know.

I recently discovered groove boxes/samplers/drummachines. And although I am not listening to electronic music that much, I can not get the gear of my mind. Especially with my condition (a total lack of muscle strength and energy) this seems ideal for me. Not the work of playing a real instrument, but having 'live' control over sounds and samples to jam and groove on my own looks like the best alternative for me.

Because I am totally new to this, I was wondering if there is someone here that can give me some advise. I don't have a very large budget, so I was looking at a Novation Circuit or a Digitakt.

I know these are two completely different machines and approaches and it's like asking: should I go play the violin or a piano.
I am not into EDM, so I don't want to approach a certain musical style. But in terms of flexibility, creativity and things like storage space, what would be a wise choice?

Thank you very very much.
Deadstar

Re: Selecting a groove box/drum/sampler

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:11 pm

Welcome!

Can't help with this myself (don't use 'grooveboxes'), but one thing the more informed here are going to need to know is... budget?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby wdsteele » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:05 pm

You may want to check out the new Akai MPC One , also has multi-track recording , effects and numerous other groove related options - is the baby of the range and is a similar price to the Digitakt .

To my mind the Akai is a tad more user friendly with much more to explore than the others you mention.

Also comes with it's own DAW whereby the hardware becomes a tightly integrated controller , but , the unit itself is completely stand alone if that's what you prefer.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby al_diablo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 am

I have a digitakt. I think if you want something breakable and controllable for jamming it could definitely suit you. You can loop very short samples to create tones, and use the channels as simple synths. Although it seems limited the way everything has been implemented is very clever and allows for exploration. By way of example, see here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFMP8MbmnL4

It doesnt have the DAW facility though (or even a way of sequencing patterns intonation song) so I think if that is a key thing for you the akai may be a good choice. I think the circuit is perhaps probably less suited to your needs.
al_diablo
Regular