You are here

Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:00 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:The quality of the audio interface and its preamps won’t be noticeable unless you’re recording in an excellent acoustic and have very good monitoring.

So in terms of quality, any on your list would be fine. The only reason to go with UAD, would be if you want to access their plug-ins.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to live without them, but most people don’t use UAD and make perfectly good recordings.

Bob

If you ever see me getting a UAD, it’ll be for the Lexicon 224 plug.

:)
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Bob Bickerton wrote:The quality of the audio interface and its preamps won’t be noticeable unless you’re recording in an excellent acoustic and have very good monitoring.

So in terms of quality, any on your list would be fine. The only reason to go with UAD, would be if you want to access their plug-ins.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to live without them, but most people don’t use UAD and make perfectly good recordings.

Bob

If you ever see me getting a UAD, it’ll be for the Lexicon 224 plug.

:)

Worth it for that alone ;) .............. then there’s the Fairchild/LA2A/Pultec/etc/etc/etc........

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4070
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:00 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Worth it for that alone ;) .............. then there’s the Fairchild/LA2A/Pultec/etc/etc/etc........

Bob

So what’s the deal with this UAD stuff? If I were to get an Apollo does it come with any free plug-in's? I'm guessing the 224 is purchase only.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:38 am

Arpangel wrote:
Bob Bickerton wrote:Worth it for that alone ;) .............. then there’s the Fairchild/LA2A/Pultec/etc/etc/etc........

Bob

So what’s the deal with this UAD stuff? If I were to get an Apollo does it come with any free plug-in's? I'm guessing the 224 is purchase only.

So when you buy say the Apollo 4x, you get the following:

UA 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ
Marshall Plexi Classic Amplifier
Fairchild 670 (Legacy)
Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier (Legacy)
1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy)
1176 LN Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy)
Pultec Pro Equalizers (Legacy)
Ampeg SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp
Precision Mix Rack Collection
UA Precision Enhancer Hz
Raw Distortion
RealVerb Pro

But there’s various deals when you buy to get other plugs such as the 224 at cheap rates.

Be warned though, all plug-ins can be run in demo mode, and that often hurts the wallet :(

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4070
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Bob Bickerton wrote:Worth it for that alone ;) .............. then there’s the Fairchild/LA2A/Pultec/etc/etc/etc........

Bob

So what’s the deal with this UAD stuff? If I were to get an Apollo does it come with any free plug-in's? I'm guessing the 224 is purchase only.

So when you buy say the Apollo 4x, you get the following:

UA 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ
Marshall Plexi Classic Amplifier
Fairchild 670 (Legacy)
Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier (Legacy)
1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy)
1176 LN Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy)
Pultec Pro Equalizers (Legacy)
Ampeg SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp
Precision Mix Rack Collection
UA Precision Enhancer Hz
Raw Distortion
RealVerb Pro

But there’s various deals when you buy to get other plugs such as the 224 at cheap rates.

Be warned though, all plug-ins can be run in demo mode, and that often hurts the wallet :(

Bob

Thanks Bob, at the mo I have an 8 I/O Motu 828, what would be the cheapest UAD equivalent for this? (sorry for hijacking this thread!)

:thumbup:
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Hmmm, depends on number of preamps, but maybe the Apollo x6 or x8. I’d avoid the earlier models. These units have 6 sharc processors (UAD plugs are not native).

Maybe check out: https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Apollo&smcs=b6f613_2565

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4070
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Hmmm, depends on number of preamps, but maybe the Apollo x6 or x8. I’d avoid the earlier models. These units have 6 sharc processors (UAD plugs are not native).

Maybe check out: https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Apollo&smcs=b6f613_2565

Bob

That’s what I was wondering, are the plug-in's only usable in the UAD environment, would they appear in the VST's in Reaper? Looks like the Apollo 8 Quad may fit the bill, I take it Quad means more processing power?
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 pm

That’s what I was wondering, are the plug-in's only usable in the UAD environment, would they appear in the VST's in Reaper? Looks like the Apollo 8 Quad may fit the bill, I take it Quad means more processing power?

Yes Quad is four processors compared with the Duo’s two.
The Apollo interfaces can use some of the plugins in Unison mode, that is to say they run at very low latency and it’s as if their impedance is the same as the device they’re modelling, they are accessed in the Console software, which is easy to use. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the technicalities, it just means it’s as if you owned the actual device.
All the UAD plugins work in Reaper albeit with maybe a little bit more latency depending on the CPU power of your computer.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Need Gear/Set-Up Recommendations - Apt Recording ($3k Budget)

Postby BassFacer67 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:The quality of the audio interface and its preamps won’t be noticeable unless you’re recording in an excellent acoustic and have very good monitoring.

So in terms of quality, any on your list would be fine. The only reason to go with UAD, would be if you want to access their plug-ins.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to live without them, but most people don’t use UAD and make perfectly good recordings.

Bob



With something like a Motu - what about monitoring in as I'm singing/playing? It's just me recording, and I'd like to hear applied vocal effects as I'm singing without noticeable latency. Or... do I need to jump up to the apollo for this kind of performance?
BassFacer67
Poster
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:00 am

Previous