You are here

Latency Question for Real Time Headphone Monitoring/Recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Latency Question for Real Time Headphone Monitoring/Recording

Postby BassFacer67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:30 pm

I am setting up a personal recording studio and want to be able to:

1. Hear my vocals and guitar in my ear via headphones at the same time while I am playing/recording them.

2. After recording a track, be able overdub it with my guitar and add new parts, etc.

Will the Audient id44 device's low latency specs enable to do what I've mentioned above without noticing much difference?

Thanks, here's what they say...

via https://www.recordingbase.com/audient-id44-review/

Audient id44 Latency

DSP mixers are an important feature for a modern audio interface. As nowadays the trend of consoles is decreasing and the dependency on DSP mixers in increasing. DSP mixers are software provided as the part of an audio interface to control its settings, faders, and effects by computer. The latency is a common problem in digital audio devices especially cheap audio interfaces.

But thanks to Audient iD44’s low latency DSP mixer and high-speed hardware, you get a very low latency in mixer display as well as in your audio monitoring. The DSP mixer latency can be decreased to 0.3236ms for 96kHz recording. There are 2 other numbers regarding latency which you should pay attention.

DAW Roundtrip Software Monitoring Latency @ 32 Sample Buffer – ~1.6ms/96.0 kHz
DAW Playback Latency @ 32 Sample Buffer for Software Instrument Playback – 4.2ms/96.0 kHz

These two features are very important for monitoring purpose. As you can see the roundtrip software monitoring latency and DAW playback latency is below 1.6ms and 4.2ms respectively, ensures that you get a smooth monitor while recording your projects.

BassFacer67
Poster

Re: Latency Question for Real Time Headphone Monitoring/Recording

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Looks like you'll be fine with the low latency monitoring on the iD44. A delay of 1.6ms is the same as moving the mic just over one and a half feet. Just set the input monitoring in your recording software to off and use the mixer in the iD44 to listen to what you are recording while listening back to any already recorded tracks. Your recording software should automatically compensate for any delays in the audio interface as the interface should report its delay to the recording software.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby BassFacer67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 pm

James Perrett wrote:Looks like you'll be fine with the low latency monitoring on the iD44. A delay of 1.6ms is the same as moving the mic just over one and a half feet. Just set the input monitoring in your recording software to off and use the mixer in the iD44 to listen to what you are recording while listening back to any already recorded tracks. Your recording software should automatically compensate for any delays in the audio interface as the interface should report its delay to the recording software.

What about if I am just practicing and I want to hear it all in my ear (guitar plus vocals and effects), will there be a noticeable delay between what i'm singing and what I'm hearing? Please let me know if you answered this in your response. A little new to this. Thanks.
BassFacer67
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:00 am

You will be able to hear the sound direct from the input with no problem. If you are using effects in your recording software then you will need to monitor through the software which could result in longer delays. Basic eq and compression shouldn't increase the delay by much but effects that rely on modelling or convolution reverbs could increase the delay significantly. As far as I can see the iD44 doesn't have on-board DSP effects but it does allow for analogue effects to be inserted into the signal chain for inputs 1 and 2 but the normal advice, especially for someone unfamiliar with the recording process, is to record straight and apply effects afterwards.

If you just want to add reverb while you are singing (many singers find that this really helps) then there are ways of doing this without adding delay but the exact method depends on which recording software you are using.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:27 am

The biggest delay in the recording process is the buffer. You set this in you DAW. Set to a low value for low delay, but your cpu will max out if you add too many plugins, then you have to increase buffer. We use large buffers when mixing when latency doesn't matter.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster