You are here

Good hardware EQ for instrument shaping.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Good hardware EQ for instrument shaping.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 am

I’m using a combination of mixer EQ and software for my electric piano sounds, it’s sort of OK, but I’m not getting what I need, the EQ in Reaper just never seems to hit the spot, the mixer EQ is better, but a bit of a blunt instrument.
I need a good rack EQ, parametric I guess, but I’ve even been thinking of a graphic, just wondering where to look for something suitable.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Good hardware EQ for instrument shaping.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:57 pm

Vangelis used to use graphic eq's a lot. Worked out well for him I think!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Vangelis used to use graphic eq's a lot. Worked out well for him I think!

Yeah, seems like the way to go, Brian Eno said the same thing, so it must be right.
Trouble is getting a good deep cut/boost, most are about 10 dB and it’s best to have at least 15 dB

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:20 pm

Debatable. A short range hurts the sound less, and gives finer control for a given fader length.

dbx 1231 is nice to work with, switchable +/-6 or +/-15dB range. Even with all faders at 0, the phase shift is audible- I think this is inevitable with a graphic.

I guess you've already considered using a different EP? Are you using a real one or a digital one? There's a lot can be done to a Rhodes or a Wurli to change the sound, but it's mechanical work and potentially risky. Just running them through different amps can give a huge range of possibilities. The Arturia Wurli model is rather good IME, lots of tweakage and nothing to break :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:23 pm

I don’t know what Reaper’s eq is like but I suggest two or more software eq modules in series, a parametric to cut offending frequencies and then a standard four band eq to do the broad sweeps of cut and/or boost e.g. roll off bass and add air frequencies at the top.
If the annoying frequencies change with pitch of the notes then you’ll need a dynamic equaliser.
You don’t say what’s wrong with the sound you’re getting currently.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:26 pm

MOF wrote:If the annoying frequencies change with pitch of the notes then you’ll need a dynamic equaliser.
O ya, good point. TDR Kotelnikov is one of the best I think. Oeksound Soothe is even better, that thing is amazing goes way beyond mere dynamic eq. Tracks the resonances.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:29 pm

MOF wrote:I don’t know what Reaper’s eq is like but I suggest two or more software eq modules in series, a parametric to cut offending frequencies and then a standard four band eq to do the broad sweeps of cut and/or boost e.g. roll off bass and add air frequencies at the top.
If the annoying frequencies change with pitch of the notes then you’ll need a dynamic equaliser.
You don’t say what’s wrong with the sound you’re getting currently.

Yes, I’m open to software too.
I’m using a Yamaha Reface CP, it’s OK, acceptable, but not in its raw state.
I have my own Rhodes preferences, influenced by classic 70’s sounds, it’s a slightly hard sound, a bit of bass cut, and a big peak at 1.5k, and I roll everything off to zero above about 7k, it gives me that lovely 70's Chick Corea type vibe, with just a hint of tine.
I’m finding it very difficult to EQ out the tine on the Reface, it’s way too much, but finding the right frequency is really difficult.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m finding it very difficult to EQ out the tine on the Reface, it’s way too much, but finding the right frequency is really difficult.
Oekesound Soothe solves exactly that problem, in seconds.

I use Modart Pianoteq Stage for my CP80. Didn't take long to adjust the eq, effects and amp model to my tastes. It's lovely, very dynamic and responsive. Maybe that plugin would suit you better than a Reface. The Pro version is incredibly tweakable: "Thousands of editable overtones", on a note by note basis, if you want!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 am

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m finding it very difficult to EQ out the tine on the Reface, it’s way too much, but finding the right frequency is really difficult.

I use Modart Pianoteq Stage for my CP80. Didn't take long to adjust the eq, effects and amp model to my tastes. It's lovely, very dynamic and responsive. Maybe that plugin would suit you better than a Reface. The Pro version is incredibly tweakable: "Thousands of editable overtones", on a note by note basis, if you want!

Thanks Tomas, I need a hardware solution though, as when things get back to normal I’d like to gig, and I don’t want to use a computer for that. I’m OK with software at the moment, and I think that would be a more sensible solution than spending lots on hardware, as I’m sort of thinking about getting either a real Rhodes for gigging in the future, or something like a Vintage Vibe.
The Rhodes really is the basis of a lot of what I’m doing now, and it's worth investing in.
I’m actually also, using an EP from the Kontakt library, and it’s not bad, so I alternate between the the Reface and Kontakt.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:

Since Tony already has Reaper, I'd suggest that ReaFIR in compression mode would be a good alternative to Soothe.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:31 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Tomás Mulcahy wrote:

Since Tony already has Reaper, I'd suggest that ReaFIR in compression mode would be a good alternative to Soothe.

I always have trouble getting my head around ReaFIR, what I’m finding strange about this tine sound, is that it sounds like it should be in to 7/8k range, but it’s way below that, and it diminishes a bit when I start to attenuate around 2/3k.....weird.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:47 pm

If you can put up a sample (or send me a link via PM if you prefer) I can create a Reaper session with some basic ReaFIR settings for you if you would like. I've only really discovered the power of ReaFIR recently and now find that I use it quite a bit on problem sources where I might have used eq before.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:30 pm

James Perrett wrote:If you can put up a sample (or send me a link via PM if you prefer) I can create a Reaper session with some basic ReaFIR settings for you if you would like. I've only really discovered the power of ReaFIR recently and now find that I use it quite a bit on problem sources where I might have used eq before.

Thanks James, I’ll put a sample link up if I don’t have any joy, I’ve found this guy on YouTube with a delightful New York accent :D that gives Reaper lessons, he’s got one about ReaFIR so I’m going to watch that tomorrow if I haven’t got too much of a hang over.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)