You are here

No left channel audio with UA Apollo x8

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

No left channel audio with UA Apollo x8

Postby stellavista303 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi all. Long time lurker here but now finally getting back into recording again. And predictably I have hit a snag in my early steps, which perhaps someone here could help with.

I recently got a Universal Audio x8 and Satellite Quad which I have connected to my iMac with this chain: iMac > Thunderbolt 2 cable > Thunderbolt 2 to 3 converter > UA Satellite Quad > Thunderbolt 3 cable > UA Apollo x8.

The problem I have is that I receive no audio in the left channel. The headphones and speakers work via other set ups so no issue there. The audio in Logic is in stereo so no issues there. For example, when I play a simple riff using Logic instruments this plays in stereo when I plug my headphones directly into the iMac. But when I then listen via the Apollo I hear only right channel.

Does anyone here have an idea of what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
stellavista303
New here

Re: No left channel audio with UA Apollo x8

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:30 pm

Have you checked the routing in the UAD Console application, which controls all the internal mixer routing etc?

Which outputs of the Apollo are your main Logic stereo outputs set to?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby stellavista303 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks Desmond. I had already checked that and it wasn’t the issue. I contacted UA and they have me the instructions below which did the trick so I leave here in case useful for anyone else in the future. I had to do all of the below to fix it.

Try removing the Satellite first, and connect the x8 with the Apple TB3 adapter to the Apple TB cable, then to the computer. Does this change anything?

If not try the following:

1. Uninstall the UA software then manually trash the preference files according to the (Mac) Apollo Twin TB Uninstall / Reinstall Procedure KB article. Same files apply for your unit as well.
2. Reset Mac Core Audio Preferences
Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Audio

Delete file: com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

Delete file: com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Restart the computer

3. Now run the current UAD installer and you are prompted to restart.
4. Apollo x8 Hardware Reset
5. Reload the Firmware:
Open the UAD Meter
Open Finder and navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Universal Audio/Firmware/UAD-2 then drag FirmwareUpdateRene_4.bin on top of the UAD Meter. You will then be prompted to reload the firmware.
6. Also, be sure you are using Apple cables. Other brands tend to have connectivity issues on Macs. If you are using Apple cables, try reversing the cable and firmly reseat back into place.
stellavista303
New here

Postby desmond » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks for the update and posting the details, it may well help others having a similar issue in the future. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio