You are here

RND Shelford Channel/UTA MPEQ-1- good combo for small home setup? People still liking the Shelford?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RND Shelford Channel/UTA MPEQ-1- good combo for small home setup? People still liking the Shelford?

Postby brokesnob » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:37 am

Hello, first post here.
I'm looking to assemble a small but competent setup at home for tracking.
After much research, the two units which I've decided to get are the UTA MPEQ-1 and Rupert Neve Shelford Channel. They seem like two very powerful and versatile units- and that's kind of what I'm wondering about; does this versatility come at any price? In guitar land (where I come from), multi-fx are generally frowned upon- is it the same case with rack gear? "Jack of all trades, master of none" type thing- can it be truly great if it has a comp, eq, and preamp in it, or is it better to stick to dedicated units? I'm also wondering if you guys feel there might be any kind of overlap between the two units as I'd like to cover as much ground as possible. I was wondering if it might be a better move to get just one of the two named units and then have a second more characterful preamp (i.e. Chandler REDD.47 or TG2) to pair with it.
Also, my big question is if people are still digging the RND Shelford Channel in 2020, four years after its release, or if something better has come along that I should look into. The MPEQ-1 came very highly recommended by a friend with a killer studio in the States whose opinion I trust very highly. He also recommended the Shelford, but said the UTA really is a must. FWIW, I'm recording electric + acoustic guitars and male vocals (myself) mostly- will sometimes do synths as well. Mics for time being are just a 121 + 57, but I'll soon be adding a nice U47 clone which I haven't yet decided on- along the lines of Flea, Wunder, Bock, etc. Will also add another ribbon, probably some kind of AEA.
Oh, one last thing I should mention is that in a couple months I'd like to add a Pultec EQP-1A and a vari-mu of some kind (BG2, RS124, 176... one of those; tbd) and wanted to know if the Pultec EQ would see any kind of overlap with the eq's on the UTA and RND units.
Anyways, would really love your input on this matter as I'm looking to pick something up asap (ideally this week). Many thanks!
brokesnob

Re: RND Shelford Channel/UTA MPEQ-1- good combo for small home setup? People still liking the Shelford?

Postby resistorman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:44 am

Some fine looking gear there! My personal workflow is to record as flat as possible and color later, so I’ll play the devil’s advocate. :D Do you have enough confidence in your monitoring situation to make decisions going in so you can make full use of those lovely EQs? Do you also have neutral preamps, perhaps in your interface? If every track is big and colorful, it can get murky.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Re: RND Shelford Channel/UTA MPEQ-1- good combo for small home setup? People still liking the Shelford?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 am

And do you have a great sounding, well treated room to record and mix in?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........