You are here

Apple Command Key Functionality in Logic Pro X?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Apple Command Key Functionality in Logic Pro X?

Postby BassFacer67 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:59 am

I am buying a mac mini for the purpose of using Logic and trying to decide if I really need to pay the extra money to get a mac keyboard/mouse. The only difference is that mac keyboards have the apple command key. Is this worth it in regards to functionality / ease of use in Logic?
BassFacer67
Poster

Re: Apple Command Key Functionality in Logic Pro X?

Postby IAA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 am

If you want to use logic you will want to use shortcut key commands, the command key is vital to copy and paste (for example) or command D - duplicate channel strip, command command A to select all, to have to use a mouse for that will drive you mad!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 am

If you use a PC keyboard with a Mac, the Windows key will work as a Cmd key, so it's not essential... It's in a slightly different place though, and that does make some of the shortcuts a bit trickier from a 'hand shape' point of view. You can definitely get started with any old keyboard — you won't be missing any functionality — but I would recommend getting an OSX keyboard, even if it's a cheap off-brand one.

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 am

If you use a Windows keyboard then I think you'll find the command key maps to the windows key so it's not really an issue. But you really don't have to pay Apple prices if you want a decent Mac keyboard. I bought one of these last year and I really like it, it's backlit which is nice. Search for Mac keyboards on Amazon and you'll find plenty.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.