You are here

Using reference tracks

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Using reference tracks

Postby Arpangel » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:43 am

MOF wrote:
I never keep my multitrack Reaper files either, when a track is mixed to stereo I wipe the project, as I never want to have the option of remixing.

That rules you out of any future Classic Albums documentaries. :o
Seriously, don't you ever think that you might literally do a re-mix in the old style i.e. throwing away a lot of the original but re-imagining a track from some of the elements or doing a surround sound version.

The short answer to all your questions is no, never.
Some say a piece is never "finished" that’s not how I feel about my music, I know when it’s reached a certain point, ands it’s done.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Using reference tracks

Postby Justman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:59 am

Metric A/B is slick. I find it a fantastic reference tool. you can put multiple reference tracks in it and switch between them and your track. It has level matching to make A/Bing even simpler. and you can A/B against all the including tools like stereo imaging, correlation, loudness etc.

Just place it after your masterchain plugins and before any monitoring plugins (e.g., sonarworks).

If you are patient, you can pick it up on a PAalliance sale. I wanna say I got it for $29 and used a $25 voucher, so it was $5.

I found trying to do referencing a total PITA until I got this. (Well, it's still a pain to run good references, but .....)
Justman

Previous