You are here

Beethoven 6th - how lucky we are

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Beethoven 6th - how lucky we are

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Listening just now to Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 from the 2012 Proms (on Youtube) I had followed a thread starting with why Gould did not record any Liszt, but of course he recorded the Liszt Piano Transcription of the 6th. Most of us recognise the genius of Beethoven in this, and we love Barenboim's intimate connection with the orchestra, but WE can also marvel at the absolutely superb recording. I speak for myself when I say I have difficulty recording a single instrument or vocal, but good grief this recording is spectacularly good. All those instruments, so many lead parts at different times, all in a huge hall full of people. Did the BBC record this? I think the recording is pure genius, and in some small reflected way it makes ME proud that I even attempt something remotely related to this.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Beethoven 6th - how lucky we are

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:50 pm

The BBC record all of The Proms concerts... they are the organisers, after all! :-)

Some of the televised proms use the Radio 3 mix, but the major events use a separately crafted mix (often using different mics) specifically for TV.

I wrote a feature on it in 2014: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/bbc-proms
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Great article Hugh!
Zukan

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Superb article (there's so much on the SOS website to discover) and your final comment says it all.

"If you get the chance to listen to a few Proms concerts I urge you to do so as they represent the state of the art in live classical broadcasting today"

:clap:
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby John Willett » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Zukan wrote:Great article Hugh!

:thumbup:

This is the picture I like best - the Audio OB Truck (Sound 3). ;)

John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby rggillespie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 am

I'll look forward to listening to this when my other isolators wake and reading the article, thanks for pointing it out. I've been listening to the live Berlin Philharmonic concerts that they are putting for free on their website. It's been a thrill seeing the footage, given me a new insight into the relationship between the orchestra and conductor. Blomstedt conducting Bruckner was a joy to see his communication to them of his love of the music. Their recent Petrenko realease of Tchaikovsky 6 seems to me to be a state of the art recording, wonderful sense of being there in the audience.
rggillespie
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks to Netflix supplied by our son I'm discovering all sorts of niche films.

Watched 'Copying Beethoven' last night. From what I know of his biography it was accurate with regards to his temperament and living conditions.

As for the rest... I shall be doing some 'ferreting' today...

... but of course the music was glorious... focussed on the time he was finishing and then premiering the Ninth...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 am

John Willett wrote:
Zukan wrote:Great article Hugh!

:thumbup:

This is the picture I like best - the Audio OB Truck (Sound 3). ;)

That's a nice home cinema setup, with a gigantic remote control.. TV on the small side tough

:bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page